Doing a Restoration of Thorens TD 165 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2016, 02:15 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Doing a Restoration of Thorens TD 165

Purchased an old TD 165 from Used Victoria dot com in fairly good shape but with issues as per the story and videos linked below:

Vintage Thorens TD-165 Turntable for Restoration | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Really looking for a place (other than Sound Hounds please - read post #54 in AK Thread above) to take my TT and get it tuned and setup correctly once I receive all the bits I ordered in the mail. I believe the suspension and motor alignment is all out of wack and I have club like hands. Any recommendations for a TT Tuner dude in Victoria, BC?
Thanks

Last edited by navydiver; 2nd February 2016 at 02:30 AM.
Old 2nd February 2016, 12:03 PM   #2
nezbleu is offline nezbleu  Canada
diyAudio Member

The knocking sound coming from the motor is not unusual. The good news is it likely isn't audible through the speakers. It is due to wear in the bearings inside the motor. If you Google a bit you will see kits available on-line which basically add a small thrust bearing on the bottom of the motor, and which are supposed to fix this condition. I don't think your spindle is bent.

Can't help with services in your area I'm afraid (wrong side of the country).
Old 5th February 2016, 03:42 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Received Shure M97XE cartridge today and hooked it up. Night and day difference to the Stanton 4DQ I have to say. Taken with my BB phone so don't expect from the vid clip for sound:

https://youtu.be/iifTSY5LgsE
Old 8th February 2016, 02:47 AM   #4
JoeDJ is offline JoeDJ  United States
diyAudio Member

I also got a M97xe in my Thorens 165... using a Barewald alignment
I'm running it with the brush down at 1.77 grams.

That's it in my avatar.

It sounds great with absolutely no IGD.

Hide this!Advertise here!