Souther Linear Tonearm on A TD-124

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The idea of minimizing contact with a moving object that may transmit and/or produce noise is very appealing. When I was using my Souther/ Accuphase Ac-2 on a VPI HW19, I never heard any rumble or noise. I know just because I didn't hear any noise, does not mean there weren't. Maybe my system was unable to resolve the very low level of noise that was there. Anyway, I am just curious if anyone used this version of spindle support and their experiences. I guess the best solution would to just remove the spindle /arm support interface and use the special base that Souther offered. I believe Kevin has one. Can you comment on its efficacy?
Regards,
David

Here's the special base:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    349.6 KB · Views: 164
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
There were a number of variants, my Tri-Quartz has a teflon filled cup in place of the point, which I believe an option for certain spindles.

I still own the Tri-Quartz (loaned to a friend) and an SLA-3 which I am going sell soon as I have moved on to ET air bearing tone arms. (An ET-2.5 and an ET-2.0)

After having the Souther arm since early 80s I've had a few cartridges mounted on it and have found the heavier the cartridge the better. Right now I have a Koetsu mounted and it sounds pretty sweet for something this old. Bitch to set up and keep clean but when it is set up right I can't describe how much more open the sound is. Like switching from slow box speakers to electrostatics. Getting rid of all those arm resonances is simply wonderful. I think that short arm has much more to do with the sound than the linear tracking. This arm by the way is electrically isolated from the turntable so don't expect to expect to ground anything to your preamp. Also I have found it helpful it to touch something grounded after using record cleaner and before setting down your cartridge to the record.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.