DC motor for Rega P3, need help please.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to replace the stock AC motor on my P3 with a DC motor and controller. Is there anything available other than the Origin Live Kit? It sells for approx. $525, I'd appreciate any input on this subject. Thanks in advance!:)

BTW, I am going to build a TT from scratch in the future so I can use this motor upgrade on that table.

Depending how handy you are with electronics, you could use a brushless DC motor and an electronic regulator for such.
The regulator can be bought in a computer hardware shop, and so can the motor for that kind of matter, since it can be sourced from a big fan (min. 120mm fan).

I am aware of the fact that such a solution dosnt come with the right brand names attached, but its sure as good as any of the expensive solutions, and its for a fraction of the price/ readily available.

Personally though, i would choose a dc servomotor with a tacho generator, its a very simple and reliable solution.

Magura:)

Magura said:

Personally though, i would choose a dc servomotor with a tacho generator, its a very simple and reliable solution.

Thank you for the input. I am not good when it comes to electronics but I run a Machine shop. Do you know of a tacho generator in particular that I could buy? Are Maxon DC motors good, I know Teres uses them. Thanks again. -Frank-

Im a toolmaker in diecasting, so i see where you stand :)

I have a similar project running.

I have a SCT (servo control technology gmbh) type M586 with tacho generator.

I have made some tests with it, and it seems ideal. The tacho will give a liniar output voltage according to the RPM, so it can be used to control the whole thing with a few components (a PNP fet, a pot and a resistor).

The only problem is the lenght of the motor, but i intend to solve that by mounting it under the TT facing upwards or above facing downwards.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.