Calculating inductor based passive RIAA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
the right material, construction caps are some of the most linear, near ideal components in electronics for audio frequency

the best inductors are usually poor to very bad in nonlinearities, parasitics, frequency dependent losses...

Last edited:
I am fully aware of all limitations and difficulties related with this type of RIAA correction. But I'm willing to try it anyway, just for fun.

To be honest, I don't "understand" why I want to use it. But I also don't understand why I'm using turntables and single ended triode amplifiers in 2015 when there's class D amplification and high end digital audio equipment all around :p. From what I know, there ARE some commercial RIAA preamps using L filters, so there are some people who might be preferring them.

kaputt said:
The good reasons for building phono correction networks from rc networks is that it requires little thought, little space, little money and little courage.
Does "courage" improve audio reproduction?

The sound quality you get out of network copied from the RCA manual is the same: little.
It could still be better than an LR network.

Pulatom said:
I got bored of making them and LR seems a nice alternative
"Nice" in what sense? More hum pickup, more expensive, more distortion, lower Q (so requiring circuit compensation) - all 'nice' features to have in a circuit.

"Nice" in what sense? More hum pickup, more expensive, more distortion, lower Q (so requiring circuit compensation) - all 'nice' features to have in a circuit.

Let's be fair- one could easily argue that using a tube amp is similarly crazy, yet you and I both do. Why? It's entertaining to use a (now) uncommon technology, and with proper design and construction, we get performance good enough to be "hi fi."

Now, if one claims that an LR preamp will outperform a competent RC circuit, I would want to see some good data backing up that remarkable claim (or an analogous claim about a tube amplifier outperforming a competent solid state design).

As I've said before, I'm aware that it won't be a technically perfect circuit.
I treat audio DIY'ing more like fun or even art than rocket science. I think it shouldn't be treated so seriously (except safety precautions, that is). If a circuit works that's great (I don't care about numbers, it just have to sound pleasantly for my ears), if it blows or sounds shitty, well, at least I've learned something new from it.

That's just wonderful, especially combined with a worn scratchy Roy Orbison's LP and candlelight (or fireplace).
Vinyl is also a not-so-perfect medium and clearly worse than, let's say, 192/32 digital audio (in terms of noise, frequency response, dynamic range etc).

Here's a picture of a LR Phono pre:

Attachments

• pre.jpg
    pre.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 170
Pulatom said:
It obviously helps if one uses better quality components or materials
It seems obvious to some, but the facts do not always agree. For most components in most circuits, ordinary components are sufficient. The exception is wound components, where good ones cost much more. This is why most people seek to minimise the number of wound components.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.