whats best step up for denon DL-103

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Le Prepre....

Hi,

The best step up for Denon DL103, and for most mc actually, that i´ve heard is the Hiraga mc amp, its very simple to build but becomes pretty big as it needs both 2 6V lead/acid cells
and a huge pile of electolytics.

Yep, I like that one too but it tends to get big.
Batteries and close to a Farad of decoupling...Wow!!!

Here the schematic with the replacement Toshis:

BONAVOLTA

If you can, match the semis.

Another alternative for the DL103 is a tube preamp with low noise, 60 dB gain and 0.5V sensitivity.

I know mine takes the DL103 without noise or any other artefacts. You can find it somewhere in the "Tube" section of the forum...

Be warned, it's not an "El Cheapo" project.

Ah...Found it:

PHONOPREAMP

Cheers,;)

step up transformers for MC...

i use a pair of Peerless 15095 currently connected to the MM input of my Musical Fidelity X-LP until such time that i can build one of frank's preamp, as described.

i have also tried the Altec 15095A, and friends use Tamura TKS-27, Tamura TKS-83, Denon AU 320, UTC A-10, Altec/Peerless 4722 (green can), Tango MCT-999, Denon Alpha 1 (with Permalloy core).

hope this helps.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've found the Partridge 977 run into 47K to be quite good with the DL-103, tried the Cinemag and a number of others that I liked even less. This transformer is very well magnetically shielded and has a mu metal core. They sound absolutely stellar IMHO with the DL-103, the 103D, and 103SA - I see no reason why it would not be good with the 103R as well, but have not tried one. Gain is modest at 1:6 but that will get you up to just over 2mV with a DL-103..

There is a seller on ebay.co.uk who is currently selling the 977 for just £79.95 which is just a little more than I paid for a pair a couple of years ago..

Here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360397383944 (link updated 10/1)

Note that I have no affiliation with the seller.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.