Ultrasimple MM/MC RIAA preamp 2

This looks like a neat little preamp, and easy to throw together. I will try cascoding both FETs, though, since it's only a few parts more.

Nothing is quite as good as the 2SK170 (for a single FET), in terms of transconductance or noise, but the 2N4393/PN4393 or the J110 might be worth trying just for grins. Both of these FETs are generally used as analog switches, but are also reasonable low noise amplifiers. The J110 is better than the 4393 in terms of noise and transconductance, but may have an IDSS much higher than you expect, since there is no spec maximum. The J110s I currently have are all pretty hot, with IDSS measurements over 100mA. A reasonable source resistor will tame the savage FET, though. The next batch may not be as hot...

I just did a PSpice simulation of the preamp using J110 FETs instead of 2SK170GR, and the results look pretty good. Indeed, you have to use about 150 ohms of source resistor to get the bias current down to reasonable levels (~5-6mA/device). You also need 1000uF of bypass around the source resistor to get the gain back, and higher V+ voltage to have both the gain and the dynamic range. I simulated the rest of the circuit using the same R and C values as Mad_K, but adding a current source loaded JFET output buffer (two J110s) biased at about 7 mA. I got about 0.05% distortion at 1KHz, 1mV input, 10k output load, with a very smooth distribution of harmonics dominated by the 2nd and 3rd. Not bad for an open loop design.... The thing that remains is to try both the 2SK170 design and the J110 design and see if I can hear the difference. I tried modeling a cascode version of the design, but the results were pretty icky - odd order harmonics dominated for some reason, and they weren't too small, either. I'll try revisiting that simulation and see if I can't get better results.

BTW, I'll probably use "dead bug" prototyping (transistors head down, legs in the air) on a PCB copper plane. I have double-stick taped a couple of skinny pieces of copper clad to the main ground plane to serve as the DC power bus for each channel.

Mad_K's schematic printed out on my ink jet printer looking just like a pencil drawing, smears and all - quite charming. :)

A little question - I've been rooting around on this site a bit , since I'm new around here, and found a thread regarding a feedback-type RIAA preamp using an OPA637, also built by Mad_K a month or two ago. I'm curious, Mr. K.... Have you done a comparison between the discrete and op amp design? If so, how was the comparison? Inquiring minds want to know...

wrenchone,

good job on the sims/other info!
-have you done a bode-plot? (If so, how did the eq perform?)

-Yes, I have done a very good comparison between them, as I merely swapped the boards (El Cheapo/Pacific) in my phono-pre between the two, and built them with much of the same parts-quality.

I can tell you right away; this one stays in the box!

I didn't notice any big difference in tonal balance between the two (both seems to give a very correct RIAA eq), but it is no doubt that I am now listening to a Single Ended, no-feedback, very simple and good phono amp. The Pacific is a little "nicer"/more romantic/musical sounding; I haven't listened to a record that didn't sound good yet. While the 'Cheapo is a very good and correct amp, it can be a little "analytical/matter of fact" as Thorsten puts it.

This little amp gives you THE MUSIC, nothing more, nothing less..

;)

I did a frequency plot, but it was not set up to look at deviation from the RIAA standard. I wiggled pretty much in the right places, though. I just picked up Beige Bag Software's Spice package. Maybe I can get it set up to display RIAA accuracy. Once I find my FET sorting jig (I just moved), I can build up a couple of things.

Re: 2n3819 instead of 2sk170??? is that ok

Konnichiwa,

vinylflo said:
hello just want to solder together that nice and simple preamp. but i just have a bunch of 2n3819 jfets..is that ok or do i need something better???

The Circuit is speced for 2SK170 with an Idss (selected) of 4..6mA absolute with no more than 0.1mA difference between the two channels (per stage). That is what MUST be used if you want a working phonostage from the discussed circuit without problems.

You can of course change the design of the phonostage any way you like, change all sorts of parts and values, you are on your own though to get it working.

Sayonara

BTW you should be able to build a small adjustable -Vgs biaser with a single 1.5V cell and some BIG resistors. You could then adjust each FET for equal Id, obviating the selection/matching requrements. A 1Meg pot between ground and -1.5V and a 10Meg resistor to the gate on each should do. The same geometry FET has about the same gm at a given Id with very little sensitivity to Idss.

HI
Did someone made a PC board lay out for these MM preamp I would be imterested .
Madd K did you com pared these RIA with the Atlantic if yes wich one sound better .
Dou you have PC board for the Atlantic ,I would be intrested on a sett if that is the better one ..

Thanks for sharing with us your designs .

Greetings

Very interesting design!

I just win in ebay great LP collection with Jimi Hendrix, English 60' blues, Woodstock records , and now I need new, better phono corrector.

Problem is - I can't find 2SK170.

Is it possible to replace this JFETs with other, preferable available from elfa.se or digikey.com ?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Zigis said:
Is it possible to replace this JFET with another, preferably available from elfa.se or digikey.com?

No. The 2SK170 or LSK170 are quite special. They have low voltage noise and a low (for a FET) 1/f corner frequency. They are also high transconductance (which is why they are low noise). You need to get on to Linear Systems for the LSK170.