Ultrasimple mm/mc RIAA preamp 2 - Page 21 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2009, 05:04 AM   #201
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

18V and your model explains it. But mainly 10R answers it.
Too much CGS I would think, about 30 is nearer for it maybe gives you more THD in sim than in reality.
But the JFet model parameters and the actual Spice model for them aren't very reliable. If its Ok in the build, we are alright. And it seems OK from what you measure. Spencer matches are reported good in the long run too.
Old 13th December 2009, 11:16 AM   #202
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
You can expect 7.6V at the drains, 51dB gain, and the curve in the attachment. The 6.8mA matched look pretty OK in this circuit. I used 30m beta in the sim for them. 51dB is good for 1mV cartridge.
Hi Salas,

My cart is a new-old-stock Shure M75 ED Mk2, the biggest selling cart of the 1970s, and considered at the time to be a bargain, though nothing special I guess.

It has 5mV output. 5 times what you say will be OK with my current circuit. How might I adjust the circuit to allow for that? Do MM carts go as low as 1mV output?

Many thanks
Lucas
Old 13th December 2009, 11:44 AM   #203
diyAudio Chief Moderator

You can put 50R trimmers between each source pin and ground, get HFNRR test disc, play 3rd track -20dB pink noise, hook up the DVM set for AC RMS on each channel's output, and by starting at half point, get it to match 50mV for each output. That is 500mV 0dB i.e. 40dB gain on 5mV cart. See that the trimmers are producing about the same region DCV across drains and ground between channels and positions. Maybe you gonna end up around 27R for each trimmer with your Idss. Check the TT with the test disc while you are at it too. Good luck.
Old 13th December 2009, 11:41 PM   #204
diyAudio Member

Wow. That sounds complex. I was hoping to avoid all that kind of sorcery when I picked this RIAA. Maybe I should have got some GR fets after all.
Old 14th December 2009, 12:03 AM   #205
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Salas,

Can you guide me to some good quality caps for this circuit? Anything from mouser and digikey, but not something that costs tons of money. I've heard the mkt (square ones) caps to be good.

Lucas,
I posted a circuit some posts ago which I modified for my 7.8mV cart. Maybe you could try that. I'm not guaranteeing success, but it worked for me.
Old 14th December 2009, 12:43 AM   #206
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasAdamson View Post
Wow. That sounds complex. I was hoping to avoid all that kind of sorcery when I picked this RIAA. Maybe I should have got some GR fets after all.
Not sorcery, it is the simplest you can do without generator and scope. OTOH you may just up the source resistors to 27R and compare the level and the sound with the ones already installed for GR. If still loud enough, go 33R.
Old 14th December 2009, 12:51 AM   #207
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra7 View Post
Salas,

Can you guide me to some good quality caps for this circuit? Anything from mouser and digikey, but not something that costs tons of money. I've heard the mkt (square ones) caps to be good.
Look for Vishay and Wima polypropylenes, also Koa Speer resistors in Mouser.
Old 14th December 2009, 06:47 PM   #208
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Not sorcery, it is the simplest you can do without generator and scope. OTOH you may just up the source resistors to 27R and compare the level and the sound with the ones already installed for GR. If still loud enough, go 33R.
Thanks Salas. Duh! Which are the source resistors?

Thanks, Lucas
Old 14th December 2009, 06:49 PM   #209
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Under each fet to ground.
Old 14th December 2009, 10:23 PM   #210
diyAudio Member

ok, so could I trial and error it, starting with 27R? I don't have a test disc, or a good enough knowledge of test procedures to really trust myself without a guiding hand looking over my shoulder. If the spice suggests 27R, then I'd be happy to go with that. I'd only raise the alarm if it sounded awful I guess.

Many thanks
Lucas

Hide this!Advertise here!