My DIY Isolation table : aka sandbox

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well you've seen them done all kinds of ways and here is one more. My isolation table:

isorega.jpg

read about it here: Wardsweb DIY Isolation Table Site

Presently using a Audio Note IQ-2. This is a very high output (5mV) cart. Thus I was picking up some rumble I had not heard before. The new platform has cured that problem and added a quiter overall background. It'a hard to put into words but the imaging is cleaner, don't know to call it crisper or more detailed, but regardless it's better.

Wardsweb,
It is my understanding that aluminum surface will oxidize overtime and it would look rather dark. Also, all fingerprints would stay on clear polished aluminum surface and also oxidize.
What do you think?

I don't know much about metals, I'm Electrical Engineer myself.
What's the difference between 6061 aluminum and other aluminum types?

Thanks
Sergey

6061 has 1.0 % magnesium and .6% silicon. This gives it a good tensile strength for machining , but major advantage is very high resistance to corrosion. For this reason, among others, it is used in aircafts and indy cars. I only apply a coat of car wax over the finished surface. I can then replolish by hand if it gets scratched. If you are going to spray a clear finish over polished metal, do not use arylic, it will crystalize over time and/or turn yellow. If you must paint , use laquer or clear anodize.

Wardsweb,
Could you explain the polishing technique that was used to polish aluminum plates for Foreplay?
If possible could you also tell what polishing compounds and other materials or tools were used?
I would love to make something similar but I need some initial very detailed guidance.

Also, what's the thickness of the top and rear aluminum plates?

Thank you
Sergey
Dayton, OH

I start by wet sanding with some 220 grit and a sanding block. I work my way through 320 and 400. I've used 600 as the next step at times and others have gone straight to 1000. The basic idea is to get to the absolutely best final surface before I start to "hand polish". Once the sanding is complete I do small sections at a time with Happisch Simichrome (you can get it on Ebay or local jewlers). I finalize the process with a larger piece of soft cloth and polish the entire surface at once, then buff with a clean white terry towel. Some car wax finishes the process to help protect the finish. Very labor intensive but I think it provides the best results.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.