broken off counterweight on Toshiba tonearm - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Old 5th October 2015, 05:56 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
Default broken off counterweight on Toshiba tonearm

I recently picked up a Toshiba SR-630 Quartz locked turntable.

I thought originally the adjustable counterweight had been removed for transport. But once I got it home I discovered the screw that holds it on to the tone arm had broken!

The shouldered part of the screw is still in the counterweight (easily removed and replaced) But the threaded part of the screw is still in the end of the tone arm!

Is there any way to remove the threaded part of the screw? Can it be drilled out and retapped while still on the tone arm?

Can the end of the tone arm be removed to work on it? I do have a mini lathe that could drill out the screw acurately if I could mount the just the end of the arm.

I also have a fairly complete home electronics bench. So tools and electonics experience not an issue. Just never worked on turntables.

Any input would be appreciated

Last edited by mrtechnologist2u; 5th October 2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 5th October 2015, 07:31 PM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Drill down the centre. Jam something into the hole. Unscrew.

rgds, sreten.

As its a loose thread it may be persuaded to come out
by far simpler means, any way to rotate anticlockwise.
There is nothing more practical than a really good theory - Ludwig Boltzmann
When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail - Abraham Maslow

Last edited by sreten; 5th October 2015 at 07:48 PM.
Old 5th October 2015, 08:50 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
Ya well I tried some gentle persuasion yesterday, with the other end of the screw. That didn't work.

Tonight I will try and be MORE persusive! If I can back it out 1 turn, I can grab it.

If I have to I will use a dremel tool and try drilling a hole in the screw with the tone arm in place. It is NOT a big screw though. I am waiting for the service manual to arrive. Expect in it in 2 days. I would like to see an exploded parts drawing of the tone arm. It would help me decide how to tackle this.

Hide this!Advertise here!