broken off counterweight on Toshiba tonearm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently picked up a Toshiba SR-630 Quartz locked turntable.

I thought originally the adjustable counterweight had been removed for transport. But once I got it home I discovered the screw that holds it on to the tone arm had broken!

The shouldered part of the screw is still in the counterweight (easily removed and replaced) But the threaded part of the screw is still in the end of the tone arm!

Is there any way to remove the threaded part of the screw? Can it be drilled out and retapped while still on the tone arm?

Can the end of the tone arm be removed to work on it? I do have a mini lathe that could drill out the screw acurately if I could mount the just the end of the arm.

I also have a fairly complete home electronics bench. So tools and electonics experience not an issue. Just never worked on turntables.

Any input would be appreciated

Last edited:
Ya well I tried some gentle persuasion yesterday, with the other end of the screw. That didn't work.

Tonight I will try and be MORE persusive! If I can back it out 1 turn, I can grab it.

If I have to I will use a dremel tool and try drilling a hole in the screw with the tone arm in place. It is NOT a big screw though. I am waiting for the service manual to arrive. Expect in it in 2 days. I would like to see an exploded parts drawing of the tone arm. It would help me decide how to tackle this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.