DIY Turntable Power Supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There's a bloke on Lenco Heaven who put together a DIY variable frequency drive for Lenco tables, but he no longer makes them apparently. Someone posted the layout files a while back and I downloaded the Gerber files for the PCB and it works pretty slick. Maybe some folks here would be interested in developing this kit into a group buy? You can download the instructions and bill of materials Here

Attachments

• PCB Populated.jpg
    PCB Populated.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 1,092
  • Power Supply.zip
    148.3 KB · Views: 279
My understanding is someone else did this version of the PCB layout when the original boards were no longer available. I also understand they did some improvements. This is not Nigel's board layout.

AFAIK, the rest of the design is in the public domain. It was done as a DIY project and it would be nice to see it continue that way.

Not exactly DIY since Kevin is not interested in selling kits, but maybe has some features worth considering. Kevin Carter (of K&K Audio) and his friend Trent designed this TT PS. I have one of the beta units. It has separate outputs for each phase and a fine adjustment for the phase angle (requires removing the capacitor and rewiring the motor). Besides frequency adjustment there is also amplitude adjustment. I find that using the lowest output voltage that keeps the record spinning improves the sound of my set-up.

Attachments

• IMG_3451.JPG
    IMG_3451.JPG
    452.3 KB · Views: 759
  • IMG_3444.JPG
    IMG_3444.JPG
    488.7 KB · Views: 747
  • IMG_3448.JPG
    IMG_3448.JPG
    701.3 KB · Views: 780
My understanding is someone else did this version of the PCB layout when the original boards were no longer available. I also understand they did some improvements. This is not Nigel's board layout.

AFAIK, the rest of the design is in the public domain. It was done as a DIY project and it would be nice to see it continue that way.

As far as I am aware this design is not in the public domain. This is a clear rip-off of someone else's work.

Nigel was nice enough to ask the original designer of the Lenco speed controller for permission develop this in to a well documented, easy to assemble PCB project. This was/is a non-profit project which should not be abused like this.

As far as I am aware this design is not in the public domain. This is a clear rip-off of someone else's work.

Nigel was nice enough to ask the original designer of the Lenco speed controller for permission develop this in to a well documented, easy to assemble PCB project. This was/is a non-profit project which should not be abused like this.

thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

The links to dropbox are by definition, public domain. This is what Nigel had to say about the PCB layouts when posted on Lenco Heaven:
True, the schematic, parts list, etc are in the public domain and anybody can re-lay the PCB if they want to, but at least they have to put some effort and some knowledge into doing so.
Not sure what your argument is then?

This was/is a non-profit project which should not be abused like this.

This is still a DIY project and no one is profiting from it. How is that abuse?

Hi all,

I spent a bit of time looking at options from my Rega turntable. In the end I went with a design by Meldano and the results are fantastic. I purchased a PCB, a pre-programmed IC and his software. The software is very simple but cool as it lets me set the speed selector buttons to what ever speed I want including setting a ramp up or ramp down rate etc.

Here's a link to Meldano's page krishu.de AC-Motorsteuerung mit uController

Kind Regards
Andrew

Attachments

• My build.jpg
    My build.jpg
    635.5 KB · Views: 565
Hi all,

I spent a bit of time looking at options from my Rega turntable. In the end I went with a design by Meldano and the results are fantastic. I purchased a PCB, a pre-programmed IC and his software. The software is very simple but cool as it lets me set the speed selector buttons to what ever speed I want including setting a ramp up or ramp down rate etc.

Here's a link to Meldano's page krishu.de AC-Motorsteuerung mit uController

Kind Regards
Andrew

That looks pretty cool, are there English pages? Prices? I'm too unilingually stupid to navigate that site.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.