Damping Plinth with Caulking Compound - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Old 23rd September 2015, 07:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
Default Damping Plinth with Caulking Compound

I have a Denon DP-1100 turntable, fairly nice for a low-mid end TT, but with a somewhat flimsy plinth. As an alternative to completely re-doing the table with a new plinth, I was considering flipping the thing over and strategically applying latex caulking compound to damp the plinth. It's pretty dead stuff when it hardens, and the extra mass should also help.
Old 24th September 2015, 06:44 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
No comments? I haven't flipped my TT over to see how possible it is or where the caulk would go, but it appears that it would be a natural for TTs with flimsy plinth material. The remaining question would be latex caulk vs butyl gutter caulk.
Old 24th September 2015, 03:30 PM   #3
Eric is offline Eric  United States
diyAudio Member
I think it could certainly help if you are experiencing vibrations that persist. I haven't done this with a TT, but have used rope caulk to dampen vibrations on the metal grilles for my home HVAC system. Without damping, they would ring and resonate when the heat or AC ran. I would think the key here is adding mass, so go with something that is heavy. I've seen others apply truck bed liner from a spray can to the underside of the plinth to add mass and reduce vibrations.

Certainly worth a try, though it needs care in application.
My DIY Basement Theater, Aleph-X Amplifers and Avro Open Baffle Speaker construction pages.
Old 24th September 2015, 07:45 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
I would think the plinth material to be no thicker than 8mm plywood. This would warp if you apply a large quantity of liquid to the inside of the oplinth. It may be a good idea to moisture-proof the inside and clamp the outside 0f the box during this operation.
I was thinking of using floor leveling compound for this. First cover the inside of the plinth with thin plastic, than pour the compound in layers. It can readily machined with hand tools (files, drills, etc). Large areas for the motor and other items would be preempted from the pour with plastic (margarine and yogurt) containers. This would easily be a 10 pound plinth without any resonances. E
Old 24th September 2015, 08:00 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
Have you considered using the adhesive-backed lead weights used to balance wheels?
Old 24th September 2015, 08:26 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
From pictures on the web, plinth appears to be a hollow box with one brace.
First I would try glueing in some more timber braces. Does the plinth sound resonant when you tap it?
TBH, I wouldn't go overboard. it's likely to be just as important, or even more so, to have the turntable on a firm stand or shelf.
Old 24th September 2015, 09:04 PM   #7
nezbleu is offline nezbleu  Canada
diyAudio Member
There is stuff called "Duxseal" which is like a heavy putty which is great for damping things. However it adds no stiffness, so you might want to glue in pieces of something rigid to stiffen so parts. Another option would be to fill spaces with something like epoxy, or an epoxy-like stuff mixed with some other amorphous material. That would add stiffness and damping.
Alcohol, taken in sufficient quantities, may produce all the effects of drunkenness. - Oscar Wilde

Hide this!Advertise here!