DIY TurnTable arm - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2002, 06:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DIY TurnTable arm

I've been playing around with a diy tone arm, but haven't really got past the drawing stage. I've half built an arm using balsa wood, and it's light and super stiff. It also looks cool, kinda like a miniature bridge. But the problem of how to connect it to the TT kills me. Anyone know of a good website with some diy arm projects? Anyone able to help here, using this thread?
Thanks.
Old 22nd March 2002, 02:19 AM   #2
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

SemperFi,

look on Jeremy Epstein's Teres page and on Roscoe Primrose's airbearing arm page.

Apart from that, i hope diyAudio will be the DIY tonearm site very soon; i hold my DIY tonearm project back until Jason manages to open a TT or analog forum, don't nail him or me on the name.

To your tonearm: at the moment your question is not specific enough and, as always, answers are never better than the triggering questions. If you could post pixes of your draft and tell what you initially planned (linear tracker, gymbal arm, unipivot arm) i see what hints i can give.

Maybe my buddy Hartmut joins us with hints, he has enormous practical experience with pivoted tonearms. Hartmut, are you listening?
Old 25th March 2002, 01:26 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to THOR Send a message via Yahoo to THOR
Default Unipivot

How simple or complex , cheap or expensive ? I had a bunch of tone arms and finally built my own. The simplist cheapest and still excellent arm is the Unipivot, built properly these can be very good . Try it out simply and then make it better Get a fairly good sized darning needle from wifeys sewing kit and mount it pointing up in a block of wood that u can double sticky tape to the TT. Go to a clock shop or watch repair shop and get a few large "jewel pivot bearings ". Find where u want the pivot by trying the needle directly on the balsa top sheet of ur construction , add weight to the rear and shift it around till its ballanced for tracking force and side to side ballance. Lets say theres a top and botton on that part of the arm . make a hole in the bottom plate that will be only big enough to not interfere with the needle when u are handling the arm. Once u have the pivot point located . glue on the "jewel" to the underside of the top plate , wire it up and go U may have to add a small weight on a pin pointing down and put the weight low . Keeps the arm from twisting. Mount the cartridge with as little of the stylus as possible below the bottom of the arm and adjust the height of the unipivot untill the bottom of the arm is close to, and parrallel to the record , This reduces "warp wow " . If ur arm is very light it could "chatter "on the bearing . A small glob of silicone grease on the jewel will stabilize things without harm . HTHs .
Old 25th March 2002, 05:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for link, I'm gonna try making an airbearing type with aluminum angles. The arm will be of balsa strips.

Should the vertical axle be the same height as the pickup needle?

With the linear travel this arm will have, how do I figure out the optimum length of the arm?

Thanks
Old 25th March 2002, 09:51 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

SemperFi,

Quote:
Should the vertical axle be the same height as the pickup needle?

a linear tracker has no vertical axis (on could claim it is in infinite distance), only a horizontal axis. Yes, the horizonatal axis should be as close to record surface lavel as possible. But in real life, #1 cartridge height is not standardized and #2 the height level of the horizontal axis should be adjustable to suit the need for VTA adjustments (Vertical Tracking Angle). Consider the rail is not meant to horizontally tilted against level due to adjustments. You will have to provide some parallelogram mechanism.

Quote:
With the linear travel this arm will have, how do I figure out the optimum length of the arm?

Geometrically you can choose any length that suits you. But mechanically the arm is more likely to jam the longer the tonearm wand is. Moreover, a longer tonearm is not as stiff as a short one of the same cross-sectional structure and it is more prone to resonances hence the low end reproduction will suffer from a longer tonearm wand.

OTOH one could hang the rail over teh record surfa e in order to have a VERY short tonearm. But then ANY heigt variation of the record surface will cause the tonearm to produce speed varations, wow, if you wish to call it so. I do not recommend this as >70% of real-life records have warps and/or pressing bubbles.

A very reasonable length for a linear tracker is 180-192 mm effective length. If record and platter do not exceed a diameter of 320mm.
Old 26th March 2002, 09:39 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

thanks.
I meant horizontal axis, the one for up/down movement of the arm, thanks for correcting.

man, why aint there no vinyl forum here? espescially now that cds are being watermarked! I hate all this **** the record companis are doing to my music.

JUST SAY NO TO WATERMARKED CDs!!!!
While at it say no to digitally remastered vinyl, how dare they!
Old 30th March 2002, 02:20 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

If you might be interested in a more "radical" approach for a diy-toneram, you may consider this:
http://www.altmann.haan.de/tonearm/default.htm
Very, very inexpensive...

Holger
Old 30th March 2002, 02:31 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

that's awesome!
Old 30th March 2002, 05:58 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Holger,
thank you for posting the link, i had lost it.
I am dead sure the thing works as promised, probably better.
Old 30th March 2002, 06:36 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Bernhard,
I absolutely agree with you. I'm afraid that "thing" will do its job quite well. And I know Charles Altmann, he is really kind of crazy, but also very clever.

Regards: Holger

Hide this!Advertise here!