problem with old Sony PS-LX510 linear-tracking turntable -- mechanical question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi-
I just happened on this great site while searching for a clue to this obscure problem-
I’ve had this Sony PS-LX510 linear-tracking turntable in my closet since it broke a couple of yrs ago.
Just opened it up. Seems to be the only problem is that the string-like band that wraps around the pulleys and propels the tracking arm has come way loose – but it hasn’t broken. I just can’t figure out what this is supposed to look like when it’s in place (ie, can’t figure out where it winds around, other than the 4 plastic little pulleys).

Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on this? Granted it’s no great turntable but I’d like to get it working given that it’s minimally damaged.

Thanks!

My assumption is the four plastic pulleys form an elongated rectangle, placed at the corners.

The wire connected to the tonearm will form one long side of the rectangle.

On the other long side of the rectangle the wire must wrap around what I assume is a dc motor pulley.

Pure guesswork, :) sreten.

sreten said:
My assumption is the four plastic pulleys form an elongated rectangle, placed at the corners.

The wire connected to the tonearm will form one long side of the rectangle.

On the other long side of the rectangle the wire must wrap around what I assume is a dc motor pulley.

Pure guesswork, :) sreten.

Thanks for the reply! I guess I should have been a bit more specific. I do see roughly where it should be, but the length of wire is fairly long, and my attempts to coil it on the hub of the pulley didn't work too well... that's why I think I'm overlooking something...

Hey Pickngrin,

Have you resolved this yet? If not, I have the same model I can take some digital pictures for you. I have a problem with mine maybe you can help me out with. The tracking arm stick at random points causing the record to skip. I claeaned offf the bar it runs along and put some WD-40 on it. It helps but still does it. How tight is the rubber pulley that comes off the little electric motor that moves the arm? Maybe that needs to be replaced?

Thanks,

Larry

Hi Larry,
Actually, I scrapped the whole thing months back after getting nowhere. I was moving, too, and didn't need to drag this thing along. I'm sorry, I don't have answers to your questions about the sticking tracking arm.... anyone?
Good luck and thanks for your offer to take digital photos.

lmacdonald said:
Hey Pickngrin,

Have you resolved this yet? If not, I have the same model I can take some digital pictures for you. I have a problem with mine maybe you can help me out with. The tracking arm stick at random points causing the record to skip. I claeaned offf the bar it runs along and put some WD-40 on it. It helps but still does it. How tight is the rubber pulley that comes off the little electric motor that moves the arm? Maybe that needs to be replaced?

Thanks,

Larry

I had a Sony linear-tracker a few months back, can't remember the model (I'll have to look it up when I get back). The arm on mine would get so far then refuse to move any further but I did manage to fix it. The problem was two-fold as I remember:

1. the rubber band around the motor that drove the arm was just a bit old. I replaced it with one of the same section (they are either square or circular section). You can buy a selection of bands for tape machines on ebay - one of these is bound to fit.

2. there was also a problem with the sensors inside the arm body that tell the arm when it has to move on (these are not actually true linear-trackers as the arm has to be tangental to a very small degree before the motor kicks in for a fraction of a second and moves it on half a mil). I had to adjust them somehow but can't remember what I did - maybe if you can take the arm apart (very carefully!) and take some photos it may jog my memory.

Sony PS-LX510

Think I got your fix.

I've had the same problem with my PS-LX510. I sent it out twice, got a new belt and lube both times but the problem kept recurring. Reading Ropie's reply I decided to open it up, what do I have to loose. I've had some luck but am going to get some silicone lube for the rail and see if that helps things. I'll post again after I lube the rail.

Meanwhile, I did open it by three small side screws open the arm cover. Looking down at the guts you can see a silver colored "bowtie" shaped screw attached horizontally through a spring and set in a copper cylinder peg. This screw seems to calibrate the arm to a laser trigger at the end of the assembly. You can see a black "L" shaped piece of metal that crosses a red laser light. This triggers the body's movement along the main rod.

By rotating the "bowtie" screw small amounts (1/4 turns) you can recalibrate the unit. It take a bit of fiddling to get it in the right spot to trigger the light. Remember where you started. Too close and it triggers in to small of increments, to far to big of increments.

I got it to a good point but it still binds to the rail sometimes. I know the factory lube wares off, WD40 is an anti corrosive not a lubricant, and if you put on too much lube on it can degrade the rubber parts.

This is as far as I could take it short of purchasing the repair manual on-line. Hopefully the silicone and the adjustments will work. It's possible the laser unit is gummed up or faulty. Thats another day if ti is.

Good luck to you all. I'll post my results after lubing the rod.

Brian

Hello everyone! I've been looking for answers regarding my LX510 which has been experiencing the uncooperating arm problem for far too long. I hope some of you had luck with getting the turntable to work. Mine is still in excellent shape and it is still worth the effort trying to fix it.

I will try the arm laser adjustment before looking at the rest of the unit, I already tried lubing the rod and the motor string was found tight. It could be an easy fix if it's just the laser setting screw.

I'll pass along what I find.

paul

:cool:

sony ps-lx520 tone arm sticking...

Well here's what I figured out on my sticking prob.& mine had been stored for a long while also...I took cotton swabs & cleaned the rod tone arm rides on & then used some TDL Fabulous Baster Dry lube & walla! Tracks like a charm. Bought a cheap audio technica P mount cartridge that works ok but am going to Grado black for it now that everything works....It ain't no fantastic TT but mine sounds pretty damn good with my Sansui 1000x & bookself Advent's...So give it a try...worked for me.....:D

Thanks, actually I did repair mine through changing the small drive motor belt which runs the tone arm mechanism.

For everyone's benefit here's what happened:

After doing what I could following the good ideas that were offered on this forum, I still had no luck. So, I carefully studied the drive mechanism after removing the bottom cover, I then figured out a way to see what was actually going on with it when playing a record. By placing the turntable upright with the bottom cover off on small blocks to raise it I found using a mirror and a penlight very helpful to study both the linear tracking belt and arm drive motor belt. Before my test I marked their plastic pulley wheels in relationship with fixed surfaces which I also marked. What I observed was that the linear belt's pulley moved with its belt whenever the arm showed motion and the drive motor's pulley mostly stayed in place while the motor was running. To get a good "read" on it I nudged the arm slightly with my finger and saw movement of both pulleys. As soon as I stopped nudging the drive motor's pulley would stop and the arm would in sequence also stop. So I deduced through aging the small motor belt had elongated slightly thus causing slippage. I easily found a replacement and it has worked ever since.

Paul

sony ps-lx520 tone arm sticking...

Paul.......I spoke 2 soon...my idea only worked for a few days....have removed small belt & was hoping u could tell me where u got your replacement belt....? This turntable has been a demon from hell & has turned into a slot machine.....Peace, Terry (WIGEDOUT) {mcclimans6803@aol.com} P.S. I don't have enough post to email you..It seems like its always something............

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.