problem with old Sony PS-LX510 linear-tracking turntable -- mechanical question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2004, 03:23 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default problem with old Sony PS-LX510 linear-tracking turntable -- mechanical question

Hi-
I just happened on this great site while searching for a clue to this obscure problem-
Iíve had this Sony PS-LX510 linear-tracking turntable in my closet since it broke a couple of yrs ago.
Just opened it up. Seems to be the only problem is that the string-like band that wraps around the pulleys and propels the tracking arm has come way loose Ė but it hasnít broken. I just canít figure out what this is supposed to look like when itís in place (ie, canít figure out where it winds around, other than the 4 plastic little pulleys).

Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on this? Granted itís no great turntable but Iíd like to get it working given that itís minimally damaged.

Thanks!
Old 10th February 2004, 07:00 PM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

My assumption is the four plastic pulleys form an elongated rectangle, placed at the corners.

The wire connected to the tonearm will form one long side of the rectangle.

On the other long side of the rectangle the wire must wrap around what I assume is a dc motor pulley.

Pure guesswork, sreten.
Old 11th February 2004, 12:40 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sreten
My assumption is the four plastic pulleys form an elongated rectangle, placed at the corners.

The wire connected to the tonearm will form one long side of the rectangle.

On the other long side of the rectangle the wire must wrap around what I assume is a dc motor pulley.

Pure guesswork, sreten.

Thanks for the reply! I guess I should have been a bit more specific. I do see roughly where it should be, but the length of wire is fairly long, and my attempts to coil it on the hub of the pulley didn't work too well... that's why I think I'm overlooking something...
Old 11th February 2004, 06:36 PM   #4
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Its possible the two short sides are pulled in and over the motor pulley.

Like a very squashed figure of eight allowing a decoupled motor.

Pure conjecture sreten.
Old 11th February 2004, 06:44 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks again for your conjecture/intuition, Sreten! I guess I need to play around further with this thing. It's still not very clear to me (and no, I'm not mentally challenged, really!)
Old 3rd October 2005, 05:19 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hey Pickngrin,

Have you resolved this yet? If not, I have the same model I can take some digital pictures for you. I have a problem with mine maybe you can help me out with. The tracking arm stick at random points causing the record to skip. I claeaned offf the bar it runs along and put some WD-40 on it. It helps but still does it. How tight is the rubber pulley that comes off the little electric motor that moves the arm? Maybe that needs to be replaced?

Thanks,

Larry
Old 6th October 2005, 03:28 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Larry,
Actually, I scrapped the whole thing months back after getting nowhere. I was moving, too, and didn't need to drag this thing along. I'm sorry, I don't have answers to your questions about the sticking tracking arm.... anyone?
Good luck and thanks for your offer to take digital photos.

Quote:
Originally posted by lmacdonald
Hey Pickngrin,

Have you resolved this yet? If not, I have the same model I can take some digital pictures for you. I have a problem with mine maybe you can help me out with. The tracking arm stick at random points causing the record to skip. I claeaned offf the bar it runs along and put some WD-40 on it. It helps but still does it. How tight is the rubber pulley that comes off the little electric motor that moves the arm? Maybe that needs to be replaced?

Thanks,

Larry
Old 28th September 2006, 05:46 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Sony linear tracking turntable

Larry,

Did you find an answer to the sticking problem with your turntable. I have the exact same problem.
Old 28th September 2006, 05:46 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Larry,

My turntable is a Sony model PS-LX520 vs your model PS-LX510 but the tracking arm is probably the same.
Old 28th September 2006, 09:22 AM   #10
Ropie is offline Ropie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I had a Sony linear-tracker a few months back, can't remember the model (I'll have to look it up when I get back). The arm on mine would get so far then refuse to move any further but I did manage to fix it. The problem was two-fold as I remember:

1. the rubber band around the motor that drove the arm was just a bit old. I replaced it with one of the same section (they are either square or circular section). You can buy a selection of bands for tape machines on ebay - one of these is bound to fit.

2. there was also a problem with the sensors inside the arm body that tell the arm when it has to move on (these are not actually true linear-trackers as the arm has to be tangental to a very small degree before the motor kicks in for a fraction of a second and moves it on half a mil). I had to adjust them somehow but can't remember what I did - maybe if you can take the arm apart (very carefully!) and take some photos it may jog my memory.

Hide this!Advertise here!