Bargain MM phono board, but need more output!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th August 2015, 05:18 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Bargain MM phono board, but need more output!!

Hi my regular phono amp has paased away, while it's away getting repaired i need ed as stand in and found a $15-00 (with free postage on Ebay. Hifi Stereo MM Phono RIAA Amplifier NE5532 DIY Preamplifier Audio Board.)

It uses a 15+15 DC power supply and sounds much better than it should for the money.

However the problem i have is that the output is a little low for my system. Is the a replacement for the NE5532 that will give me a little more output.
Old 11th August 2015, 05:46 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

What do you mean the output is low for my system? - voltage or current?
You can replace the NE5532 with a similar OP like OPA2143PA.
Old 11th August 2015, 06:02 AM   #3
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

Changing the opamp won't change the output level. The gain is determined by feedback resistors, and changing one or both is likely to change the RIAA eq curve, making it wrong. To keep good performance with more gain could mean replacing many of the passive components, and to calculate the new values, one would need the schematic with original component values.

It would probably be easier to add another two opamps on the outputs to give the desired gain.
Old 12th August 2015, 01:46 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Signal output vol lower than rest of the system

Hi, thanks for the replies, What I mean is the even with the vol of my passive pre turned fully up, the sound level is far below the rest of my gear, ie CD, tuner etc.
Yes i have though about adding a NE5532 pre board to the Phono output.
Old 12th August 2015, 02:14 AM   #5
gofar99 is offline gofar99  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi, With most IC based phono preamps it is possible to get considerable gain. I have used ones that have a single OPA2134 to get nearly 58 db of gain and proper RIAA equalization. If you can find a schematic of the one you have it may be possible to increase the gain without upsetting the RIAA equalization. If the IC operates as a non-inverting amplifier then sometimes all that is needed is to change a resistor from the inverting input to ground.

Another issue is that even with as much as 40 db gain (for MM/MI) and 60 db gain (for LOMC) the output will still usually fall in the 0.5 vrms range. This is about 1/2 that of most other sources like CDs. With a passive control you may still fall short of the amount needed.

Hide this!Advertise here!