Revox G36 - reels motors not working anymore

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
@toprepairman

here you can find some fotos Revox G36 - Page 3 - Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
and a description how to overhaul the capstan motor. ( I think you must first register to see the fotos).

@volken:

I saw your fotos in the other thread here.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/anal...x-g36-mkiii-expert-opinions-solicited-18.html

What a lovely and professional art of work!
Do want to use your G36 as a machine for mastering?

I´m waiting for the next parts. Please work on with your foto documentation!

Would you like to explain, how you calibrate your G36 (VU adjustment and bias) for modern tape ( I use BASF DPR 26 btw)?

That would be very kind. Heelemal bedankt.

Greetings Jürgen

Last edited:
Hi elektroj,

do you want to convert a g36 to HS? I found an very interesting thread:
More Revox mods

Revox did it two ways.

1. speed of the capstan motor + 50 % and 1/3 thicker capstan shaft

"For the first series, the factory substituted a motor with 8 + 4 pole windings (to get the two speeds) for the normal 12 + 6 pole motor. That gave them 50% higher motor speed:

12 + 6 pole motor, 50Hz: 500 + 1000rpm, 60Hz: 600 + 1200rpm.
8 + 4 pole motor, 50Hz: 750 + 1500rpm, 60Hz: 900 + 1800rpm."

2. double thickness of the capstan shaft and a new position of the whole capstan motor, to make sure the tape is running right around the play head.
"For the second batch of 7-1/2 + 15ips G36's, Revox switched back to using the same 12 + 6 pole motor as for the 3-3/4 + 7 1/2ips version. To get the speed increase they fitted a double diameter (+ 100%) capstan shaft. Obviously there were again two versions of this shaft, one for 50Hz and one for 60Hz. But the 100% increase in capstan shaft diameter meant that they had to modify the chassis and the base casting to shift the motor a bit towards the VU meters to compensate; this chassis and casting had different part numbers of course."

So which capstan shaft for high speed are you looking for?

Good luck!

Last edited:
@toprepairman

here you can find some fotos Revox G36 - Page 3 - Tapeheads Tape, Audio and Music Forums
and a description how to overhaul the capstan motor. ( I think you must first register to see the fotos).

@volken:

I saw your fotos in the other thread here.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/anal...x-g36-mkiii-expert-opinions-solicited-18.html

What a lovely and professional art of work!
Do want to use your G36 as a machine for mastering?

I´m waiting for the next parts. Please work on with your foto documentation!

Would you like to explain, how you calibrate your G36 (VU adjustment and bias) for modern tape ( I use BASF DPR 26 btw)?

That would be very kind. Heelemal bedankt.

Greetings Jürgen

Hello Jurgen

On the moment I'm to busy with turntable revision work but as soon as I got time I post more pictures and info about this project.

Regards

Volken

Jürgen, that's a double dutch :D

Kidding aside, can anyone of you, guys, tell me the diameter of G36 HS and 'normal' 50 Hz capstan shafts?

Thanks!

The diameter from the HS capstan is 7.251mm.

WP_20150928_20_34_29_Pro.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.