Posted LR Phono Preamp design

Hello all -

I just posted all the design details of the LR phono reamp that I designed for ETF.13 on my website: LR Phono Preamp

The preamp (as you might guess) doesn't use any capacitors in the RIAA EQ section, just inductors and resistors. Gain is provided by opamps.

I don't want to get into a debate about why one would want to do this - I'm no capacitor-phobe myself. But for whatever reason, those of us that have built it think it sounds very good indeed!

If you're interested in the topology, make sure you look over the powerpoint presentation that describes the design process.

Pete

Hi, not a capacitor phobe either, but I thought that the circuit could be simplified and made less expensive with a couple tweaks.

The reactive components of the cartridge change the phase relationship entering the first gain stage. This will change with every combination of cartridge and loading capacitance. Thus, the impedance exiting the first gain stage is complex.

To simplify the math, (and granted that there is a small penalty to be paid) moving the 75uS pole to the non-inverting input of the first opamp by choosing a load resistor with a value equal to the inductance of the cartridge at 2122Hz.

The LRPP used a single inductor and two resistors to achieve the 3180uS pole and 318uS zero. Here's how I modified the design for a single inductor:

Attachments

• Millett_LR_Modified_Sch.png
    Millett_LR_Modified_Sch.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 373
  • Millett_LR_Modified.png
    Millett_LR_Modified.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 368
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I just built one of these and have a question. I know there are a couple trimmers that are used to set offset to 0VDC at the output with no input. Does this indicate the input should be shorted to ground or just left open. If I zero with input shorted to ground, then I get a couple volts offset with nothing connected to inputs.