Best Fluid for Ultrasonic Record Cleaning? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2015, 02:42 AM   #1
DougB59 is offline DougB59  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Best Fluid for Ultrasonic Record Cleaning?

I've read a lot of posts (here and elsewhere) on ultrasonic record cleaning. People use a variety of formulas for the fluid. Most consist of one or more of the following:

(1) Distilled water. Some use this alone, and I think it is by far the major ingredient in all the formulas.

(2) A surfactant, which I believe breaks the surface tension of the water and aids in cleaning in the record grooves and helping the water flow off the record cleanly without leaving droplets/spots. Kodak Photo-Flo is popular. Some use Jet-Dry or Finish (these are "rinse agents" for use in dishwashers to prevent spots on dishes). I think Jet-dry and Finish are much less expensive and easier to find than Photo-Flo, but in the small amounts needed, cost isn't a big factor.

(3) Alcohol (often 91% Isopropyl alcohol).

(4) Sometimes an additional detergent (which, I think also serves as a surfactant). Some use dishwashing liquid. One recommended Fisher Versa-Clear (a "lab grade detergent specially formulated for plastics"). I think these are particularly helpful in removing oily/greasy residue (such as fingerprints). The downside is that they may leave a residue unless rinsed off. This may depend on the concentration and/or type of detergent used.

Some rinse in distilled water after cleaning - others don't.

So, what formula do you use, and why?

Do you rinse after cleaning with this?

How do you dry your records after cleaning? (Air dry, microfiber towel, spin the record with an electric drill, compressed air, hair dryer, or what?).

Thanks

Doug
Old 20th July 2015, 01:38 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I'm the Versa-Clean villain.

Yes, it leaves a mighty residue unless washed off. I rinse 4 times, the last with distilled water, and let the records air-dry in a dishrack, in a moderately dust-free room. Most of my audiophile friends are amazed at the results, especially on their own records.

Hide this!Advertise here!