Solid state MC step up circuit - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th July 2015, 11:47 AM   #1
Swarky is offline Swarky  Spain
diyAudio Member

Default Solid state MC step up circuit

At present I´m using a heavily modified Salas LV Shunt fed Hagerman Piccolo to step up the signal from my Troika cartridge (0.18mv) to use with my Salas HV shunt fed valve phono stage. The Piccolo has had its switches for load impedance and gain replaced with fixed values (26dB and 560R) and my system sounds really good. I was just wondering if anyone knows of other simple (Simplistic) circuits and how they might compare. It´s not that I´m not happy with the Hagerman but nothing´s perfect is it ?
Old 16th July 2015, 12:12 PM   #2
carolus is offline carolus  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarky View Post
..I was just wondering if anyone knows of other simple (Simplistic) circuits and how they might compare....but nothing´s perfect is it ?
My experience: ... "Hiraga 2" .... or "Paradise" (but not simplistic)

Happy user Hiraga 2
Old 16th July 2015, 01:00 PM   #3
zacster is offline zacster  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm using the Boozhound MC pre, powered with a pair of 9v batteries and I'm perfectly happy with it. It couldn't be any cheaper and is very simple. My cartridge is the Ortofon Quintet Blue, the phono pre is a Creek unit pulled from my Creek 4240, but built into my 24v Aikido. It all sounds great, but I have too much gain.
Old 16th July 2015, 05:35 PM   #4
nezbleu is offline nezbleu  Canada
diyAudio Member

Have you tried the Salas Folded Simplistic RIAA? Simplistic NJFET RIAA
Old 16th July 2015, 11:03 PM   #5
Swarky is offline Swarky  Spain
diyAudio Member

I´m not really interested in a different RIAA. Mine uses teflon caps and Schinkohs and Salas HV Shunts, ad-hoc resin potted tranny and choke based on the AI /P10 circuit. It sounds great with an MM as indeed it does with my Troika MC and Hagerman step-up. I´m just wondering as I need to rebuild the Hagerman as it has been slightly singed through de/re-soldering when removing switches and original power supply so I´ll probably get a new PCB made just for completeness´sake and you know, in for a penny and all that.....
Old 23rd July 2015, 08:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacster View Post
I'm using the Boozhound MC pre, powered with a pair of 9v batteries and I'm perfectly happy with it. It couldn't be any cheaper and is very simple. My cartridge is the Ortofon Quintet Blue, the phono pre is a Creek unit pulled from my Creek 4240, but built into my 24v Aikido. It all sounds great, but I have too much gain.
Hi,

What kind of battery do you use and what is the autonomy? (I have a Boozhound prepre waiting to be assembled for months and I haven't choose between batteries and regulated PSU yet)
Old 24th July 2015, 06:33 PM   #7
zacster is offline zacster  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkdeath95 View Post
Hi,

What kind of battery do you use and what is the autonomy? (I have a Boozhound prepre waiting to be assembled for months and I haven't choose between batteries and regulated PSU yet)
I'm using ordinary Duracell 9v batteries connected in series, nothing special. I have a single snap connector attached to one terminal of each battery, and an alligator clip cord connecting the other terminals. I just unclip to turn it off. This has been in place for about 3 months, maybe more, on the same pair of batteries and it takes very little power. I've even accidentally left it on a few times. Don't overbuild this, that defeats the purpose of buying a $49 product.
Old 24th July 2015, 10:25 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks. Quite good autonomy on batteries.

Last edited by folkdeath95; 24th July 2015 at 10:30 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!