Solid state MC step up circuit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
At present I´m using a heavily modified Salas LV Shunt fed Hagerman Piccolo to step up the signal from my Troika cartridge (0.18mv) to use with my Salas HV shunt fed valve phono stage. The Piccolo has had its switches for load impedance and gain replaced with fixed values (26dB and 560R) and my system sounds really good. I was just wondering if anyone knows of other simple (Simplistic) circuits and how they might compare. It´s not that I´m not happy with the Hagerman but nothing´s perfect is it ?

I'm using the Boozhound MC pre, powered with a pair of 9v batteries and I'm perfectly happy with it. It couldn't be any cheaper and is very simple. My cartridge is the Ortofon Quintet Blue, the phono pre is a Creek unit pulled from my Creek 4240, but built into my 24v Aikido. It all sounds great, but I have too much gain.

I´m not really interested in a different RIAA. Mine uses teflon caps and Schinkohs and Salas HV Shunts, ad-hoc resin potted tranny and choke based on the AI /P10 circuit. It sounds great with an MM as indeed it does with my Troika MC and Hagerman step-up. I´m just wondering as I need to rebuild the Hagerman as it has been slightly singed through de/re-soldering when removing switches and original power supply so I´ll probably get a new PCB made just for completeness´sake and you know, in for a penny and all that.....

I'm using the Boozhound MC pre, powered with a pair of 9v batteries and I'm perfectly happy with it. It couldn't be any cheaper and is very simple. My cartridge is the Ortofon Quintet Blue, the phono pre is a Creek unit pulled from my Creek 4240, but built into my 24v Aikido. It all sounds great, but I have too much gain.

Hi,

What kind of battery do you use and what is the autonomy? (I have a Boozhound prepre waiting to be assembled for months and I haven't choose between batteries and regulated PSU yet)

Hi,

What kind of battery do you use and what is the autonomy? (I have a Boozhound prepre waiting to be assembled for months and I haven't choose between batteries and regulated PSU yet)

I'm using ordinary Duracell 9v batteries connected in series, nothing special. I have a single snap connector attached to one terminal of each battery, and an alligator clip cord connecting the other terminals. I just unclip to turn it off. This has been in place for about 3 months, maybe more, on the same pair of batteries and it takes very little power. I've even accidentally left it on a few times. Don't overbuild this, that defeats the purpose of buying a $49 product.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.