Technics SP 10 Speed Problems - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2004, 07:52 PM   #1
rollinr is offline rollinr  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Technics SP 10 Speed Problems

I have enjoyed my Technics SP 10 Mk II for many years. Recently though, it began to...what sounded like...loose sync. It would
wow momentarily, then resume at speed. Slowly, the wows became more frequent, and then, it stopped running at any correct speed alltogether. It spins very fast...faster than 78 rpm.
Any ideas from the most knowlwdgable diy members or gurus?
Thanks!
Old 4th February 2004, 09:49 PM   #2
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Rollinr,
I don't know the SP10 but if it has the same electronics as the SL1200 I could maybe help you.
If not, ignore this post.

/Hugo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-618f.jpg (80.9 KB, 553 views)
Old 4th February 2004, 10:04 PM   #3
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Cool Re: Technics SP 10 Speed Problems

Quote:
Originally posted by rollinr
I have enjoyed my Technics SP 10 Mk II for many years. Recently though, it began to...what sounded like...loose sync. It would
wow momentarily, then resume at speed. Slowly, the wows became more frequent, and then, it stopped running at any correct speed alltogether. It spins very fast...faster than 78 rpm.
Any ideas from the most knowlwdgable diy members or gurus?
Thanks!

Hi rollinr,
The two SP10's I repaired had detoriated powersupply electrolytic caps. Some were even at the point of bursting!
I replaced all electrolytics in the remote powersupply and it worked fine again. I first searched in the speed control circuit but ended in the powersupply. Especially the capacitor that gets slightly warm was very bad.
Old 4th February 2004, 11:15 PM   #4
moamps is offline moamps  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Technics SP 10 Speed Problems

Quote:
[B]I have enjoyed my Technics SP 10 Mk II for many years. Recently though, it began to...what sounded like...loose sync.
Hi,
I have service manual for SP10 in pdf, but it is huge. (5-6Mb). If your mailbox is large enough, just mail me the address.

Quote:
Originally posted by Netlist
I don't know the SP10 but if it has the same electronics as the SL1200 I could maybe help you.
Those turntables have completely different electronics.

Regards
Old 4th February 2004, 11:56 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default SP 10 help

Thanks netlist, fof the offer, but the SP 10 is really a different animal. There are 4 (at least) circuit boards under the platter that are populated by scores of ICs...then there's the outboard power supply!

Elso, I'll give your idea a try. Replacing 20 year old caps couldn't hurt! Was runaway speed the problem you had encountered?

Netlist, thanks for the offer of the manual!

Warmest Rs

rollinr
Old 5th February 2004, 08:06 AM   #6
Banned

Cool Re: SP 10 help

Quote:
Elso, I'll give your idea a try. Replacing 20 year old caps couldn't hurt! Was runaway speed the problem you had encountered?
Warmest Rs

rollinr

Hi,
Yes and very irregular movement of the platter as there was a huge ripple on the supply.
Old 12th February 2004, 10:13 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Technics SP 10 Speed Problems

Quote:
Originally posted by Elso Kwak

Hi rollinr,
The two SP10's I repaired had detoriated powersupply electrolytic caps. Some were even at the point of bursting!
I replaced all electrolytics in the remote powersupply and it worked fine again. I first searched in the speed control circuit but ended in the powersupply. Especially the capacitor that gets slightly warm was very bad.
Elso,
Somehow I have ended up with a mint SP 10 Mk II, a mint SP 10 Mk I, and a ragged out ex radio station MkII.
The Mk II locks and never drifts. The Mk I wanders a lot. The ragged one does not have a working strobe, speed selection switch, or other nicities.
I assume you fixed two Mk II's. I have never looked inside the remote box. How many caps are in there?

George
Old 12th February 2004, 10:29 PM   #8
Banned

Cool Re: Re: Re: Technics SP 10 Speed Problems

Quote:
Originally posted by Panelhead

Elso,
Somehow I have ended up with a mint SP 10 Mk II, a mint SP 10 Mk I, and a ragged out ex radio station MkII.
The Mk II locks and never drifts. The Mk I wanders a lot. The ragged one does not have a working strobe, speed selection switch, or other nicities.
I assume you fixed two Mk II's. I have never looked inside the remote box. How many caps are in there?

George
Hi George,
No I repaired only Mk I's. There are a handful of electrolytics inside. Just have a look. The bad ones have bursted or convex rubbers. Strobe lights also burn out in the long run.
Old 13th February 2004, 12:14 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default SP 10 MK II

Trusting that replacing the caps will solve my speed problems, I move on to the burned out strobe in my SP 10. Does anyone know a supplier for these apparently high end neon lamps. Is the voltage the same as a small night light style neon? Any ideas? Thanks!

Rollin
Old 13th February 2004, 10:00 AM   #10
Banned

Lightbulb Re: SP 10 MK II

Quote:
Trusting that replacing the caps will solve my speed problems, I move on to the burned out strobe in my SP 10. Does anyone know a supplier for these apparently high end neon lamps. Is the voltage the same as a small night light style neon? Any ideas? Thanks!

Rollin
Hi Rollin,
I replaced the neon lamp by a smaller standard bulb.
It did not last as long as the original lamp.
With some modification a ultra bright LED would work perhaps.

Hide this!Advertise here!