Micro Seiki RX-2000 motor replacement ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does the motor do anything, even buzz, or is it completely dead? Before giving up on it, I would first check to see if the motor is getting voltage from the red wire to the white wire, and also from the blue wire to the white wire. Are you experienced enough to make those measurements safely? There are several parts besides the motor itself that could have gone bad: resistors, capacitors and the power switch. I have rebuilt several Micro Seiki motor units (although not this model) and usually the passive parts are the most suspect, especially aging electrolytic caps. See:

http://hifido.co.jp/photo/13/820/82043/h.jpg

This image shows a motor designed for the Japanese 100VAC power standard. If you are in Europe, do you have a 220-to-100VAC step-down transformer, or perhaps a motor designed initially for 220VAC?

Michael,

I'm glad you got it working. As far as the noise is concerned, perhaps you might find the following link useful (you may have to register or sign in to access it):

http://www.vinylengine.com/ve_downl...ki/microseiki_ry-5500_repair_instructions.pdf

[EDIT: The above link may give you problems. But you can go directly to Vinylengine.com, log on, go to Library, select Micro Seiki, select the RY-5500, and download the repair instructions there.]

Although this procedure refers to the RY-5500 motor unit for the RX-5000, the cleaning and lube process to solve the bearing noise might be similar to your unit, if your motor has a sintered bronze bearing too.

If you hear any noise, you could have more flutter (speed variations) plus more bearing wear than normal. I would try to address it.

Last edited:
Hi Brian...

I bought mine this is a RX-2000 used with a wonderful helix arm for 500-600 USD back in 1994 , can not complain at all.

I build/upgraded my Tube RIAA, and now I'm back into vinyl again.

Actually I have never been a great fan of the digital CD.

So I'm willing to use some money on my analog setup again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.