Stripping down an old Garrard...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
... calm down, not a 301 or 401 ;)

I have this Garrard 3000 console pull and am hoping to repurpose it as a platter for a record cleaning machine. Does anyone have any experience taking the extra changer linkage etc out and preserving the 78rpm only speed? I'm going to track down the service manual, but wanted to make sure I didn't get too carried away removing bits and brick the platter.

Since I don't need speed change and want to add an outboard switch, i was hoping I could just fix the speed and cut away the parts of the top plate I no longer want. Any help would be appreciated. Here's a shot of the underside:

Attachments

• 20150517_130634.jpg
    20150517_130634.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 292
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Having built a diy record cleaner and now owning a VPI cleaner I believe you really want 16 rpm or less.. One concern is whether or not this table would have sufficient torque to do the job if you plan to use hand brushes to scrub the record during cleaning.

I see it uses a very small 2 pole induction motor, torque will be limited. Depending on how you intend to clean records this might or might not be a problem.

Thanks for the pointers. Valid concerns for sure.

I am basing my design off the Loricraft and Monks thread buffer design. In those applications an 80rpm speed is used, so 78 is close enough for me. I am using arossphoto's build as a semi guide, and the idea of using the old idler came from there. As to whether or not he is using a 4 pole motor, I'm unsure.

http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=843.45

The torque is a valid concern, but figure in the name of experimentation, i would give it a shot. Using some info online I've managed to pull the unit apart and get it down to the bare essentials. This should make it a bit easier to tinker. I have a few belt drive motors as well kicking about, not sure if they will have much torque either tho.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Motron,

I built this cleaning machine 20 years ago.. Thought it should be heavy duty..
I used 3 roller bearings and a plate to drive the platter.. Platter is mdf with metal bottom and covered edge with silver material..
This machine cleans extremely well..

Went a little crazy with automation so removed the unnecessary vacuum timer But I have forward and reverse.. Cleaning in one direction and then again in opposite direction really does a better job..

I went through 2 motors..My Last motor was to small and lasted only 2 years, I geared the speed down to 18 RPM with a plastic printer gear and belt.. I searched hard to find a better solution for the motor and came up with this 4 pole motor with a gear box with 98:1 ratio for speed of 18 RPM, plus I can reverse rotation.. Electronics surplus store in Toronto had a box of these I Hope this motor works out nice.. Unit has been sitting a couple of years...

Maybe some ideas here for someone:)

Attachments

• IMG_20150517_144255.jpg
    IMG_20150517_144255.jpg
    838 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_20150517_144334.jpg
    IMG_20150517_144334.jpg
    673.2 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_20150517_144420.jpg
    IMG_20150517_144420.jpg
    815.4 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_20150518_110608.jpg
    IMG_20150518_110608.jpg
    737.2 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_20150518_111439.jpg
    IMG_20150518_111439.jpg
    888.9 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
The zig zag lever seen in the picture moves the idler up and down to engage the motor stepped pulley. If you remove it and replace proper spacer only 78 rpm will work. Wouldn't keeping all the speeds be beneficial ? Due to smaller pulley driving platter 16 rpm will have more torque than 78 rpm pully. How will you protect motor from cleaning liquid ? Some reduction gear AC motor used in slow rotating display in shops have very good torque.

Last edited:
Well I got a little carried away and removed too much... kinda ;)

The part that allows the idler wheel to go up and down is still there but the lever mechanism that allows me to move it up and down on the motor spindle is gone. I need to figure out the leverage on the original lever to get the correct force on the idler.

Stupid I know... but the spare parts were tossed before mom got home as I had to clean up the mess. Maybe went too far :S

... calm down, not a 301 or 401 ;)

I have this Garrard 3000 console pull and am hoping to repurpose it as a platter for a record cleaning machine. Does anyone have any experience taking the extra changer linkage etc out and preserving the 78rpm only speed? I'm going to track down the service manual, but wanted to make sure I didn't get too carried away removing bits and brick the platter.

Since I don't need speed change and want to add an outboard switch, i was hoping I could just fix the speed and cut away the parts of the top plate I no longer want. Any help would be appreciated. Here's a shot of the underside:

hi Morton,

I hope you continue to update on your project, so that I can learn from it.

I have not tried to make a DIY cleaning mechine.

I have garrad RC88 like you but other.

thank you
ed

Motron,

I built this cleaning machine 20 years ago.. Thought it should be heavy duty..
I used 3 roller bearings and a plate to drive the platter.. Platter is mdf with metal bottom and covered edge with silver material..
This machine cleans extremely well..

Went a little crazy with automation so removed the unnecessary vacuum timer But I have forward and reverse.. Cleaning in one direction and then again in opposite direction really does a better job..

I went through 2 motors..My Last motor was to small and lasted only 2 years, I geared the speed down to 18 RPM with a plastic printer gear and belt.. I searched hard to find a better solution for the motor and came up with this 4 pole motor with a gear box with 98:1 ratio for speed of 18 RPM, plus I can reverse rotation.. Electronics surplus store in Toronto had a box of these I Hope this motor works out nice.. Unit has been sitting a couple of years...

Maybe some ideas here for someone:)

hi Joel,

i always see your threads in the forum. :):):)
You've been playing long enough DIY analog once. incredible man:D:D
cleaning machines that you create with used a vacuum suction too?

your a record cleaning machines give lots of ideas for me ... ha .. ha ....
you use a part of the printer ...
I often think could use part of the printer for the linear tracking tonearm ..

sorry return to the tonearm

greeting
ed

Thanks all....

I've gotten it to the point I want to hook the platter to mains power, but am having trouble figuring out the wiring. Referencing the photo in my OP: The green appears to be safety ground, the red is from switch to motor. Is it right that the two blue wires will be positive and negative (depending which way i want motor to turn), and the green is safety ground? If so, what is the brown wire for??

Thanks in advance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.