3R Turntable Discussion: Reclaim-Rework-Relisten

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bill, if you don't hear the difference between cheap and expensive caps in the signal path, there is no way I can explain it to you.

As for measurement, I would point out to you that lack of a measure is not the same as lack of effect. I expect that one or more of IM, TIM, or phase distortion is responsible, but I am not in the business of tracking it down. Why don't you do it, and explain the effect for us?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Bill, if you don't hear the difference between cheap and expensive caps in the signal path, there is no way I can explain it to you.

I'm with John Curl here, and don't put caps in my signal path. Saves a fortune!

As for measurement, I would point out to you that lack of a measure is not the same as lack of effect. I expect that one or more of IM, TIM, or phase distortion is responsible, but I am not in the business of tracking it down. Why don't you do it, and explain the effect for us?

Well I don't even know what turntable you have or what material you changed it for. But given you can 'hear' expensive capacitors I doubt you would accept even if it could be proved you had made it worse. I am happy you are happy with your turntable after the mod, but you are claiming things that are unproven. Saying ' I prefer' no one will argue, but saying 'is better' and you'll get asked how. 'Sweeter' sounds like some nice vibrations being introduced maybe?

How a plinth even causes TIM intrigues me tho.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
But given the planar 3 is basically a bargain bucket implementation how much is to be gained. Is the motor, bearing or platter actually that good as the basis of something that will cost a lot to fabricate?

Agree, not much can be gained.. Because there's many P3 out there, seems like a good one to offer a nice plinth..
The P3 motor looks like $2 value..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.