decent combo CD - FM tuner ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a YBA CD player, very nice sound but it's 15 years old. And I have a Magnum Dynalab FM tuner of similar vintage. Two boxes taking up space with rudimentary user interface.

I'm wondering if with modern technology it's now possible to get a CD/Tuner all-in-one unit with modern conveniences that can match the sound quality of these older units ???

I'm not sure if you are seeking to replace your entire system (ie amplifier as well), or are you wanting CD & FM sources to use with your amplifier? I should imagine CD & FM are considered old fashioned by manufacturers and any "one box" solution that has these features would not place great importance on them.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you want to lose the CD player, have you considered ripping the files to a music server?

I gave up on buying what i wanted so I designed myself a portable media player/tuner.
I have built a few tuners using the Si4735 chip.
A $10 chip that performs really well plus it can be all remote controlled.
It is nice to have full RDBS on a tuner with precision tuning.
One day I will get around the the improved Si4770.
As for the CD player, well I used a Rohm BU9458 and ripped my cd's to a jump drive at 320kbps mp3 or lossless wma format. Also using a PCM2902B i can usb from the PC to my portable media player.
Only issue is it costs many $ more to build/design your own.

The Armstrong 625 is worth a look. If you can repeat your work on the Pioneer it could be very good. Don't give the capacitor coupling a moments thought. On a scale of 1 to 10 it isn't even one. The RF side of the Armstrong is old school and very good. The build is not bad for it's period. All and everything on it is ripe for being improved. For example the outputs could be MG150015 if my numbers are right. The Darlington VAS might be improved along with bias control. I suspect there is room for a mini CD to be sunk into the lid Rega style ? Other than that Car Stereo's look very interesting. Ones with 20 watts more so ( unlikely ). The Armstrong sounds very good despite having a small PSU, scope to do much good work if so. My own out of need has new caps as it's only upgrade. BD139/140 seem to work for obsolete transistor replacements. If I were to go further I would use it's transformer for the pre amp and tuner and some extra VA for the power amp sections. 300 VA perhaps? BTW. I prefer output caps to many things thought to be better. Not liking them seems to rate along with most human predudices as not based on fact. If you think about it they take so many problems away. On measurements alone they are very OK devices. The speaker cone might have 80 dB more distortion. On the Armstrong they are in the feedback loop. I suspect they might be better outside. The heatsinking looks good for 6 watts. A fan when needed is an idea.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.