Pre NAKAMICHI CA5-E

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just purchased a pre Nakamichi CA-5E of which I'm fully satisfied.
I learned that there is a version MKII; anyone knows what are the differences between the two versions? Some prefer the version MKI, the other MKII, what do you think about? Is there a manual for version CA-5E MKII? Someone could share it? Thanks to all

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I just purchased a pre Nakamichi CA-5E of which I'm fully satisfied.
I learned that there is a version MKII; anyone knows what are the differences between the two versions? Some prefer the version MKI, the other MKII, what do you think about? Is there a manual for version CA-5E MKII? Someone could share it? Thanks to all
Although I've only owned the CA-5 and CA-7 models, I've a little bit of research into the CA-5II. From the photos I've seen online the internals of the CA-5II appear to be far more complex, and one obvious difference externally is the inclusion of tone controls. Another member suggested on a recent thread that the CA-5II was supposed to use the same audio circuitry as the CA-7.

Both the owner's manual and service manual can be downloaded from the Hi-Fi Engine website library.

Trop facile! Hifi engine have manual of Ca-5E MkI and not MkII. The MkI is a typical Nelson Pass circuit with MUCH influence of J. Curl (Rev. Father of FETology Science; GOD bless his name!)! It's similar to Fortè F40 circuit. I know many people prefer MKI due his semplicity and lack of opamps (and tone controls). I've never seen MKII, the first version is very, very well designed and built with first class components; Cerafine and huge Mylar condensers and so on; motherboard it's very well engeneerized and no noises or HF is picked up. An optimal result considering the capacity and Rload switches
on input of phono stage!

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I've seen people suggest that the Nak CA-5 and CA-7 preamps were designed by Nelson Pass, but I always wondered if that was just wishful thinking on behalf of owners. Have you found any credible sources to confirm his involvement?

Attached are internal photos of three versions of the CA-5: a photo of my last CA-5, a CA-5O that I had about 10 years ago, which was originally sold in Japan (the O designation at the end means it was built for Asian markets), and a CA-5II photo I found online.

I just checked my files. I scanned my own Nakamichi CA-5II owner's manual and converted it to a PDF. The file is probably too large to attach here, but if you send me a PM I can email you a copy.

Attachments

• 1 CA-5.jpg
    1 CA-5.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 890
  • 2 CA-50.JPG
    2 CA-50.JPG
    499.6 KB · Views: 981
  • 3 CA-5II b.jpg
    3 CA-5II b.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 530
Last edited:
Nakamichi & Nelson Pass

I've seen people suggest that the Nak CA-5 and CA-7 preamps were designed by Nelson Pass, but I always wondered if that was just wishful thinking on behalf of owners. Have you found any credible sources to confirm his involvement? .

Nelson Pass have designed surely Stasis circuit of power amplifiers PA5 & PA7.
About CA5, look the files alleged. Forté have 2 fet paralleled for noise reduction purpose, look at mosfet and tell me what you thinck about. Thanks for manual, I will send you PM.
Ciao

Attachments

• FORTE-40-SCHEM.jpg
    FORTE-40-SCHEM.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 428
  • Naka ca5.jpg
    Naka ca5.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 563
CA5-E versus MKII

I've seen people suggest that the Nak CA-5 and CA-7 preamps were designed by Nelson Pass, but I always wondered if that was just wishful thinking on behalf of owners. Have you found any credible sources to confirm his involvement?

Attached are internal photos of three versions of the CA-5: a photo of my last CA-5, a CA-5O that I had about 10 years ago, which was originally sold in Japan (the O designation at the end means it was built for Asian markets), and a CA-5II photo I found online.
Thanks for manual,
CA-5E MkII seem have the same circuitation of CA7. It's a total other thing than the elegant circuit of CA5 MkI! It's another traditional japanese preamplifier design; a lot of transistors in an ordinary circuit full of current mirrors, current generator and IC's used as integrators for tracking unbalacement and offset voltages. No simple and genial elegance of C5 MKI design!
Maybe you are not persuaded by design confrontation with Fortè preamp, take some times and look schematics I'm sure you see much points of contact and commun solutions in the two designs.
Ciao & grazie again

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.