Just inherited a Thorens TD126 MKII - need help! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2015, 01:21 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Just inherited a Thorens TD126 MKII - need help!

Hi all,

First time poster here and new to the analog/TT world.

I just inherited a Thorens TD126 MKII Electronic from my grandfather.

It was working when he disconnected it (he converted his entire record collection to digital) and it sat in a box for awhile until it was delivered to me - via car.

Upon first power up, the strobe light lit up and then died. So, I pulled it apart and noticed the fuse had blown. I ordered a new fuse, put it in, powered it up, it powered on for about 10 seconds, then went out again...another blown fuse.

Any tips for tackling this project? Are there common failures/weak-links I should look to replace/address first? I'd like to bring this table back to life.

Thanks in advance.

-Steven

Also, here's a photo of the table:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 28th March 2015, 03:52 AM   #2
nezbleu is offline nezbleu  Canada
diyAudio Member

Other than the strobe does everything work OK? You can get a service manual with schematic at vinylengine.com (free membership required).

I just had a peek at it, it's hard to read. What is the value of the fuse?
Old 28th March 2015, 04:54 AM   #3
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Replace all electrolytics in the power supply before going any further. The strobe neon is powered by a winding on the power transformer. Also check the rectifier(s) as one or more of the diodes may have shorted. Don't power up again until you are sure you have found and replaced the bad parts. Use a ballast lamp in series with the table power cable to limit current to a safe value in the event of another fault during testing - a 40W lamp should suffice.
Old 28th March 2015, 06:43 AM   #4
ColinA is offline ColinA  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Does the platter rotate freely?
Is there a travel screw that needs loosening?
Old 30th March 2015, 03:39 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezbleu View Post
Other than the strobe does everything work OK? You can get a service manual with schematic at vinylengine.com (free membership required).

I just had a peek at it, it's hard to read. What is the value of the fuse?
Nothing else works, that I can tell - since the fuse blows and nothing receives power. I have other fuses but they keep blowing, so I need to figure out why this is happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
Replace all electrolytics in the power supply before going any further. The strobe neon is powered by a winding on the power transformer. Also check the rectifier(s) as one or more of the diodes may have shorted. Don't power up again until you are sure you have found and replaced the bad parts. Use a ballast lamp in series with the table power cable to limit current to a safe value in the event of another fault during testing - a 40W lamp should suffice.
Thanks for the tip Kevin. I’ll dive in and see what’s going on in there. Any recommendations on where to pick up capacitors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinA View Post
Does the platter rotate freely?
Is there a travel screw that needs loosening?
Yes, it does rotate freely…though only by hand since I’ve never had power for it to be able to spin on its own.
Old 30th November 2015, 08:19 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Resurrecting this thread.

Can someone point me in a direction to help me replace the electrolytics on my table (how-to and parts needed). Would love to get this thing back up and running.
Old 30th November 2015, 09:35 PM   #7
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

Presuming you can read the capacitance value and voltage rating on each one, you should easily find equivalents at Digikey and Mouser. Anything with the same value and same-or-the-next-higher voltage rating will do, but for the longest-lasting electrolytics (maybe 40 years instead of 25 years), get the lowest ESR and highest temperature rating. You may see a lifetime rating of 5,000 hours at 105C and you may think that's not a very long time (208 days continuous), but that's at a temperature above boiling water, and electrolytics last exponentially longer at lower temperatures (something like twice as long for every 10C drop).

If you don't have experience soldering, and especially removing old parts from a printed circuit board, get a piece of electronic junk and practice taking the parts off of it first.

Make sure the + (or -) side of electrolytics are marked on the board, or otherwise make notes of their polarity so you put the new ones in the right way.
Old 1st December 2015, 12:52 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Putting aside that your grandfather had the right idea (he converted his entire record collection to digital), do you have any experience or knowledge about working with mains powered devices?
Old 1st December 2015, 06:13 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

If there is a capacitor accross the power switch, discard it and try again.

Do you have disconnected the secondary winding(s) of the transformer and tried to supply your turntable as is ?
If the fuse blows again your transformer is dead.

You need to have some skills with a soldering iron and some mesuring devices to fix a thing like this.
Old 1st December 2015, 09:00 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
If there is a capacitor accross the power switch, discard it and try again.

That capacitor may be elsewhere.
Currently it is of brand RIFA, a true failure for the old devices.
You must replace or discard it first.

Hide this!Advertise here!