vinyl vs. shellac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This new micromatic player I have has a short needle... 1 side says MG and the other 78 ... I havent ever had one of these before... Playing my records on my MG needle most of them have heavy bass,is this the way MG needles sound?????

I have no information on the quality of your cartridge or needle, but MG simply stands for microgroove, which is the size of groove used on LPs and 45 RPM vinyl singles.

+1. Very impressed by them. I wish I had the time/patience to do stuff like that. Audio restoration has always interested me and the tools that are available these days for pocket money would have cost 10s of thousands 20 years ago.

Thanks :D ! I've improved my methods a fair bit since using SoundCloud. I now upload my work to my site, Vintage Recordings as I can offer download options without the copyright bots picking up false detections.

MarcelvdG said:
I have no information on the quality of your cartridge or needle, but MG simply stands for microgroove, which is the size of groove used on LPs and 45 RPM vinyl singles.
Thank you.... What exactly is the difference between a Microgroove needle and a standard 33/78 needle?? (Why is the bass SO HEAVY on this needle?? (Too much on some records) my bass control is in the middle like it always is))

Im curious if I get a proper 33/78 needle (Which is slightly longer) if it will sound better? (Like my other player did)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.