DDS Generator for audio frequency

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Data sheet here:
http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/Data_Sheets/AD9850.pdf
The short answer, yes, sort of, depending on what you want to use it for. It can generate any frequency within 0.029Hz using the specified 125MHz clock input, or with even much more accuracy with a lower frequency clock input. It should be good enough (presuming it's driven with a properply programmed microcontroller to make controlling the frequency registers convenient), for getting frequency response of anything.

The down side is the 10-bit A-D converter. With this any harmonics and noise are roughly 60dB below the generated sine wave, which isn't quite good enough to measure distortion and such. This can probably be filtered and made a little better, but it still won't be as good as other methods of generating a precision, low-noise, low-THD sine wave.

Data sheet here:
The short answer, yes, sort of, depending on what you want to use it for. It can generate any frequency within 0.029Hz using the specified 125MHz clock input, or with even much more accuracy with a lower frequency clock input. It should be good enough (presuming it's driven with a properply programmed microcontroller to make controlling the frequency registers convenient), for getting frequency response of anything.

The down side is the 10-bit A-D converter. With this any harmonics and noise are roughly 60dB below the generated sine wave, which isn't quite good enough to measure distortion and such. This can probably be filtered and made a little better, but it still won't be as good as other methods of generating a precision, low-noise, low-THD sine wave.

Thank you.

Is there a 12 bits version?

What method can I use to generate low noise and THD ?

Regards.

Data sheet here:

I will try my samsung galaxy S4 mini like sine wave generator using the software "Pro Audio Tone Generator".

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dutchmatic.patone&hl=en

My computer sound card has too much noise while my phone doesn't have any noise....

DDS chips are usually aimed at providing a precise low noise frequency source for RF purposes, such as receiver local oscillators. Distortion is a secondary consideration because the output can always be filtered or processed through a PLL. For audio we usually need something quite different: low distortion, but not too worried about the exact frequency and noise.

DDS chips are usually aimed at providing a precise low noise frequency source for RF purposes, such as receiver local oscillators. Distortion is a secondary consideration because the output can always be filtered or processed through a PLL. For audio we usually need something quite different: low distortion, but not too worried about the exact frequency and noise.

What is the best sine wave generator for audio use without including the DDS integrated circuits?

Regards.
Alfredo Mendiola Loyola
Lima, Peru

For most of recorded history people used a carefully adjusted Wien bridge oscillator. I'm sure there are better methods, but I don't know off the top of my head what they are.

You can get a long way by using a test CD with a CD player. Likely to be better than any analogue system. I have one issued by Hi-Fi News - the one with the garage door track.

Two integrator oscillators with a Pythagorator and a narrowband filter in the amplitude control loop can also be quite good, although my attempt at building one was no success; it oscillated in three ways, the intended oscillation, the parasitic RF oscillation and the motorboating of the amplitude loop.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.