strain gauge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the responses.

Yes, i forgot to mention that I have a Win Strain Gauge source module for the Panasonic.
I hooked it up last night and it was quite an experience. I don't know if I have the cartridge dialed in right yet, but it was a little brighter than I am use to. Although, the brightness could be translated into the fact that I have never heard a cartridge with so much frequency extension. The imaging and detail is more than any moving coil I have ever heard.

The only issue is that there simply is not enough gain. It is rated at 5mv but you can't compare that to a normal cartridge because added to what gain of the source module? This is the most troubling for me because of the TVC.

I will post more impressions soon.

Hi,
I'm very familiar with Panasonic SG cartridges, but not with Win module. Basically to get to a line level you need about 26-32 dB amplification, if you are running cartridge at 3- 4 ma. Also depends of the TVC inductivity and Zout of the Win module. You may have losses there, but probably it should be not an issue, I guess Win module is a transistor device, right ?
Have fun ! SG cartridge is a real fun.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses.

Yes, i forgot to mention that I have a Win Strain Gauge source module for the Panasonic.
I hooked it up last night and it was quite an experience. I don't know if I have the cartridge dialed in right yet, but it was a little brighter than I am use to. Although, the brightness could be translated into the fact that I have never heard a cartridge with so much frequency extension. The imaging and detail is more than any moving coil I have ever heard.

The only issue is that there simply is not enough gain. It is rated at 5mv but you can't compare that to a normal cartridge because added to what gain of the source module? This is the most troubling for me because of the TVC.

I will post more impressions soon.

The frequency response does deviate from RIAA. But I know of two manufacturers that don't seem to think it's a big deal. Personally I still prefer the sound of good low output magnetic cartridges, but the strain gauge experiment was a fun one :D

Fabio posted a schematic on VinylEngine for a DIY power supply for the Panasonic.

Here is the epc-450c-ii. Ignore anything below about 200 Hz. Obviously there is a bump below 50hz where RIAA goes flat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 263
At least in the one I had there was a rather large low voltage tantalium cap used
as the coupling cap between the current source and the op amp. Well this was way
back when it wasn't known that tantalium caps sounded lousy so if I had one now
I would at least look at replacing those coupling caps. Way back then I heard that
this cartridge sounded better up at about 6 or 7 ma but above there and it might just
burn out. Too bad that cartage isn't still available wasn't it priced about $18 ?

That measurement is interesting. Seems to validate what I am hearing to a degree. I will look into the coupling caps as well. Would swapping the opamp (if possible) make a difference, seeing how it's forty years old?

Also is the compliance truly 10 ? Soundsmith claims that there strain gauge can be used with any tonearm, but I am not sure it is the case with this model.

The aspect "phase correct" intrigued me about this design, and beyond the peakiness, I can hear how this contributes to its' unique sound. It is similar to going from a traditional speaker to a single driver.

Any more info or experiences is much appreciated.

Cheers

Some cartridges have a massive resonance above ~10kHz. It's not just "more extension". It's a good idea to measure. It may or may not be possible to arrive at a reasonable sonic result with some sort of electronic compensation.

_-_-

I take it that means equalization? I have been thinking about that for some of my other projects. I always hesitated in the past to use equalization, but I think I am getting over that purist taboo.

Any thoughts on good equalization sources in the analog realm?

By the way I am getting better results with a higher power/current amp with my TVC and the strain gauge.

I will post more accurate (with low end) measurement later on. Theoretical deviation from RIAA should create 12.6dB dip, but it's actually much less due to some mechanical EQ.
I tried to implement eq to make a flat response and prefer sound without it. Currently I'm using very simple 1 tube amplification stage and battery bias. Like the sound very much (there are 3 tubes in total between the cartridge and the speaker !). "Traditional" reference playback is MC into TX-103 into LCR phono.

I take it that means equalization? I have been thinking about that for some of my other projects. I always hesitated in the past to use equalization, but I think I am getting over that purist taboo.

Any thoughts on good equalization sources in the analog realm?

By the way I am getting better results with a higher power/current amp with my TVC and the strain gauge.

Equalization is only partly successful because ur not dealing with a steady state signal (the groove) and what is happening is an excitation of a resonance.

Imo, I'd disregard a whole lot of what comes forth from the cartridge outfit in Poughkeepsie NY. Ymmv.

My view is to not use a cartridge that exhibits such a resonance in the audible band, or no significant resonance at all.

Otoh, if your hearing or your speakers/amp need a tip up on top, this is one way to do it without EQ.

Regardless, getting the most out of any cartridge/arm/TT/phono pre and so the entire system is an art, not a science. The set up can have a significant effect on what is heard, VTA being important, as is an arm mass that matches the compliance of the cartridge... etc. Getting to a point where what you are hearing from the TT setup is superior to a very good digital source isn't a trivial exercise. Imho, feel free to disregard anything I say...

_-_-bear

I will post more accurate (with low end) measurement later on. Theoretical deviation from RIAA should create 12.6dB dip, but it's actually much less due to some mechanical EQ.
I tried to implement eq to make a flat response and prefer sound without it. Currently I'm using very simple 1 tube amplification stage and battery bias. Like the sound very much (there are 3 tubes in total between the cartridge and the speaker !). "Traditional" reference playback is MC into TX-103 into LCR phono.

What are you using for a stylus? I have tried to find something that is JICO line contact quality, and so far the only thing I've turned up is an LPGear stylus that is scant on the details.

Would you mind posting the schematic for your gain stage?

Imo, I'd disregard a whole lot of what comes forth from the cartridge outfit in Poughkeepsie NY. Ymmv.

_-_-bear

Forgive me for being dense, but is this referring to Sound-Smith?

Last edited:
I have an original eps450qd stylus. Also stylli from 451 and 460 are compatible. You can get eps46 quadro stylus from Jico, very well made, but this one tracks at about 3.5-3.8g according to eps460c specs.
Schematics: 9v battery supplies bias via 1.5k resistor, cap. coupling to D3A amp. I"m using DIY Loesch Thorsten designed LCR phono for a magnetic cartridge and second amplification stage of it for a SG. Another "convertible" phono stage I have is DIY copy EAR 834P that has a switch to substitute RIAA NF with 1M resistor. This one has about 46-48dB gain, about 12 dB too much for SG.

I forget to mention one useful tip. Normally bias supplies R-ch with positive voltage and left with negative. I also have switch to reverse bias voltage, effectively inverting cartridge phase. It helps with some records, apparently recorder with reversed absolute polarity.

Some cartridges have a massive resonance above ~10kHz. It's not just "more extension". It's a good idea to measure. It may or may not be possible to arrive at a reasonable sonic result with some sort of electronic compensation.
At least one resonance is common to all carts no matter what engine - mechanical cantilever resonance. Not even strain gauge can avoid this, the lowest resonant transverse vibration mode of the cantilever.

In MM carts sometimes this seems to be arranged to 'compensate' the post LCR resonant roll-off and thus provide hf 'extension'. But my own philosophy is to choose carts with this resonance well above the audio band, otherwise it shows up audibly. IIRC not all SG nor MC carts achieve this, whereas some MM carts do - and it's not published.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.