Some DIY arms

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just ordered an new stylus from Vintage Electronics in the USA. Most impressed with the service, very quick to post it and the thing arrived here in France in about half the time it usually takes from the UK!! The Post Office is the best postal service in the world - ha!

The cartridge was an ADC QLM30 designed to track at 5 grammes:eek: I got it free with a Dual 1019. Fortunately, the stylus was broken:D. I ordered a better stylus and it tracks very happily in the linear tracker at just over 2 grammes (now a QLM34) . Sounds very nice too, I hadn't heard ADC before but this, considering the price, it pretty good for what is a mid range cartridge.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Linear Tracker

Hi Gus
a few posts back, I indicated I'd be experimenting with the 'simple' arm you made using 'v' bearings.

Got them from the supplier you suggested and thoroughly cleaned the grease out. I had a number of bits left from previous experimentation so I didn't have much to do! I got it up and running this afternoon-using an old ADC cartridge initially- if the arm trashed the stylus i wouldn't be too upset.

Initial results? With approximate adjustments (the arm wand slopes quite significantly from back to front) the results are very, very good indeed. You mentioned bass lightness, but I believe that's more to do with the materials used as opposed to the design. It reminds me sound-wise of the Opus Cantus I had a while back and I'm very impressed that the sounds I am getting out of such a rubbishy cartridge- all the detail I get with my OC5 is there-and more besides-although it is early days as yet.

Tracking is superb-I tried it on my HFS 75 test record and it cleared every band with ease.

Next step-steel myself to put the Ortofon MC 15 Super on it. Will keep you updated.

MEANWHILE: some pictures

Attachments

• Linear Tracker May 15 030.jpg
    Linear Tracker May 15 030.jpg
    856.4 KB · Views: 241
  • Linear Tracker May 15 031.jpg
    Linear Tracker May 15 031.jpg
    854.3 KB · Views: 239
  • Linear Tracker May 15 032.jpg
    Linear Tracker May 15 032.jpg
    880.5 KB · Views: 227
  • Linear Tracker May 15 033.jpg
    Linear Tracker May 15 033.jpg
    715.5 KB · Views: 219
  • Linear Tracker May 15 034.jpg
    Linear Tracker May 15 034.jpg
    976.2 KB · Views: 118
  • Linear Tracker May 15 035.jpg
    Linear Tracker May 15 035.jpg
    718.3 KB · Views: 118
Hi Gus
a few posts back, I indicated I'd be experimenting with the 'simple' arm you made using 'v' bearings.

Got them from the supplier you suggested and thoroughly cleaned the grease out. I had a number of bits left from previous experimentation so I didn't have much to do! I got it up and running this afternoon-using an old ADC cartridge initially- if the arm trashed the stylus i wouldn't be too upset.

Initial results? With approximate adjustments (the arm wand slopes quite significantly from back to front) the results are very, very good indeed. You mentioned bass lightness, but I believe that's more to do with the materials used as opposed to the design. It reminds me sound-wise of the Opus Cantus I had a while back and I'm very impressed that the sounds I am getting out of such a rubbishy cartridge- all the detail I get with my OC5 is there-and more besides-although it is early days as yet.

Tracking is superb-I tried it on my HFS 75 test record and it cleared every band with ease.

Next step-steel myself to put the Ortofon MC 15 Super on it. Will keep you updated.

MEANWHILE: some pictures

Hello Chris,

Pleased to hear it worked out so well. It really is surprising how something so simple can perform the way it does. My comments about bass are in relation to my 'spider' arm which is in a league of its own as far as I'm concerned. My version of the one you have made is certainly as good as my OL modified Rega RB250 and Technics EPC205 combination in the bass.

I'm looking forward to further reports. I do think you have over finished it though:D

Last edited:
Hi
although I enjoy fiddling around with parallel trackers, I still believe the best performing and best sounding arms are my 12" versions of the 'WTL Tribute' and the Stealth Unipivot- very close as each has a different set of strengths. If I had to choose one, it's the Tribute by a whisker. A 12" arm just seems to do everything correctly. The parallel trackers tend to be a fun diversion for me!
Regards
Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.