direct replacment for the 318N op amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2015, 01:13 AM   #1
Sk8Ter is online now Sk8Ter  United States
diyAudio Member

Default direct replacment for the 318N op amp

Hey guys looking for a drop in replacement for the old lm318N op amp

Thanks

Lawrence
Old 23rd February 2015, 01:52 AM   #2
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8Ter View Post
a drop in replacement for the old lm318N op amp
TI still makes them.
Old 23rd February 2015, 03:58 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

yes i can buy new ones but I am interested in trying different opamps
Old 23rd February 2015, 03:59 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
In what application? If we knew where you wanted to use the substitute it would help a lot.
Old 23rd February 2015, 01:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hello its for a phono stage the input/riaa chip....so there is no fet or jfet sub...only bjt!

hence why i asked for direct replacement meaning close offset bias etc..etc..etc..
Old 23rd February 2015, 01:33 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Thanks, that's helpful. So presumably noise is an issue but maintaining the same GBW and SR isn't. I was going to suggest AD847 but I see its input bias current is probably 10X higher so may well be an issue with current noise. Why do you say no JFETs? OPA827 looks lower noise than LM318 so might well work fine.
Old 23rd February 2015, 01:38 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks....the circuit is somewhat optimized for the 318 thats why made that suggestion if you think that the opa 827 will work without issues i can give it a try but IMO bjt's sound much more realistic!
Old 23rd February 2015, 02:15 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

If you must have a bipolar then HA5221 is hard to beat - trouble is its not currently in production. But you might find one on the secondary market.
Old 23rd February 2015, 03:26 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thank you ...if you or anyone else has suggestions based on the above information please let me know

Lawrence
Old Yesterday, 03:09 AM   #10
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

You should try a NE5534A for a MM phono pre-amp. Doug Self still thinks highly of them and so do I. I remember comparing my NE5533A design (dual ne5534) to my Pioneer Sx-950, way back and was impressed then.
The best is to use them in a two stage design rather than have all the gain done in one stage.
Does anyone know of a bjt i/p opamp, that has less input current noise than a NE5534A?
Refer to the Elektor 2012 pre-amp design as an example of the use of 5532,5534,lm4562, all stellar performers.
I do remember a lm318 app that used a lm394 as the input pair too, that had great peformance too.
Another option is to use a LME49600/610 power buffer, so that the feedback R can be much lower than what a 5534 can drive, too lower that noise contribution. This similar to a Lin Tech LT1115/LT1010
Lots of things to play with.

Have fun
Rick

Last edited by rsavas; Yesterday at 03:26 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!