Power Supply Board Differences Between 50hz and 60hz Direct Drive Motor Turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

I am moving to a 220V/50 Hz country in a couple of weeks, coming from 120 hz/60 hz in North America.

I have a Sony PS-X50 turntable, US/Canadian model which operates only 120 volts/60 hz. There is also an "AEP,E" model which has a voltage selector for operation of 120/220V 50/60 Hz.

I have an isolated voltage transformer which I will already be using with some appliances. My question is whether my DC-motor driven turntable will see a difference at 50 hz.

1) I understand that power transformers operate less efficiently at lower line frequencies. According to the service manual, the part number for the North American model is slightly different than the other. How likely is it that there is a significant difference when the power consumption of the turntable is relatively low? Is there a way for me to test the adequacy of the transformer?

2) Attached are the circuit diagrams of the only differences between the two region models. To me it does not appear that line frequency is a consideration on the power supply board, except for perhaps the transformer. Can someone advise as to whether the turntable is safe to use at 120V/50 Hz? Edit: I did just notice that the US/Canadian model has 3 extra resistors slightly beyond the power supply board. Note that I can easily remove/bypass these resistors if instructed, but I don't have an overall knowledge of how the circuit works.

ve_sony_ps-x50_service_Page_13.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.