Dual 504 Cartridge Alignment

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Folks,

I'm not sure if many here have ever used Dual turntables. But, they require an alignment jig that fits to their cartridge carriers for proper alignment. I don't have one. Just installed an Audio Technica AT155LC and I'm having trouble with sibilants and I'm thinking it's alignment. I have used an Arc protractor. But, I feel it is off, as it is difficult to get correct across the entire arc. I mean, it's pretty damn close, but with this line contact stylus, I'm sure it has to be very accurate.

Firstly, does anybody know the correct overhang? The tonearm is a straight variety. I've read online that effective length for this arm is 221mm. Thus, the stylus tip should be 221mm from the pivot of the arm.

On the VinylEngine protractor with the arc, it shows several arcs from 220 - 260mm. So, I am going by the 220mm arc. But, this says for arm length of 220 - 260. So, is this the effective length including the stylus? Or...?

I have measured the accuracy of the protractor with a ruler, and the points are the right distance apart. So it has been printed correctly.

Joined 2011
On the VinylEngine protractor with the arc, it shows several arcs from 220 - 260mm. So, I am going by the 220mm arc.
But, this says for arm length of 220 - 260. So, is this the effective length including the stylus? Or...?

The effective arm length is the horizontal distance from the horizontal pivot axis to the stylus tip. This is the case for any pivoted arm.

Yaeh, but the problem is the protractor, I guess. Can't determine which arc I should use. The 220mm or the 240mm? As in, it says arm length (not effective length). Effective length being 221 for my arm. The headshell goes a good few mm more than the stylus. Unless, the length specified by VinylEngine's protractor as tonearm length is in fact the effective length.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.