Has anyone tried these Rega/Linn TT 'upgrade kits'? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2004, 07:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Has anyone tried these Rega/Linn TT 'upgrade kits'?

Someone on eBay is selling some stuff that looks interesting. He has a a platter damping ring, motor vibration absorbing material, and some kind of an improved thrust bearing for the motor that looks like it requires some surgery to be performed (which is why I'm drawn to the idea ).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3283

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3283

He has auctions which combine multiple items, and I think you get a discount if you do that.

Just curious if anyone has any experience with these, and/or any other opinion. If you don't like Rega turntables, there's no need to tell me that in this thread

Thanks in advance,
Saurav
Old 30th January 2004, 06:13 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Not interesting for me....

Hi Saurav,

I've seen this guy's stuff on the big boards at eBay. For me, it appears that he's got lots of big rubber bands he needs to move.

I'd suggest that you could come very close to what's shown with a trip down to the local office supply house and getting your own rubber bands to try out. A whole lot cheaper, IMHO.

As to the purported results, I'm would be surprised if there was much of any difference, too.

I have done the Rega motor upgrade for my Rega P3 and it does make a difference in the stability of the speed. To use old school terms, the wow and flutter - mostly wow - has been reduced to inaudibility. Frankly, I'm not clear how Rega got away with that old motor in those TTs.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

David
Old 30th January 2004, 06:58 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

That's pretty much the feedback I got from other people too. I'll try my own rubber bands when I'm feeling lazy

Thanks for the input.

Hide this!Advertise here!