Sumiko Pearl w/ Jico SAS Stylus1?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Sumiko Pearl in my TT and I was thinking of a replacement. The table is a very old Planar 3 with a Grace 707 arm. I replaced the output cable a few years ago when one channel's wire broke, but it is otherwise stock. I cleaned and re-lubed the bearing a week or two ago and it made a big difference, much less background noise.

As I was searching I saw that the Jico SAS Stylus 1 would fit the Sumiko, and that it turns it into a different sounding cartridge altogether. Anybody know anything about this? Apparently their cartridge that they sold was based on the Pearl in the first place and was considered a killer cartridge and a killer deal.

I guess nobody knows.

I'm searching through my house for the boxes from my move from Seattle back to NYC over 25 years ago. I know some were never unpacked, and my guess is that my old Grace F9 and Grado are in one. I also am looking for the Sumiko box, which I had recently seen somewhere in my house, that would probably have the prior cartridge. I don't remember what it was. Any of these would be better than the Sumiko.

I bought the Sumiko as a quickie replacement over 10 years ago when one of my kids bent the stylus. I always intended to step it up to something much better but never got around to it.

The pearl and SAS stylus 1 will sound great.I have the JICO MM-1 SAS for years now and like it a lot.In fact,to me is one of the best MM's I have tried so far and a good match for the rega.I am using mine on a P3-24 in a second system and sounds fine.

Last edited:
I guess nobody knows.

I'm searching through my house for the boxes from my move from Seattle back to NYC over 25 years ago. I know some were never unpacked, and my guess is that my old Grace F9 and Grado are in one. I also am looking for the Sumiko box, which I had recently seen somewhere in my house, that would probably have the prior cartridge. I don't remember what it was. Any of these would be better than the Sumiko.

I bought the Sumiko as a quickie replacement over 10 years ago when one of my kids bent the stylus. I always intended to step it up to something much better but never got around to it.

I amazingly found the Grace F9 cartridge at the bottom of a box, still in the plastic cover untouched for 25+ years. I also found the Sumiko box with an old Audio-Technika in it. The Grace is back on my tonearm and sounds great. I haven't found the Grado, but I'm not done looking. Since Grado is still around making cartridges I'm less excited about finding this one. For that matter, Grado is located only about 2 miles from my house in Brooklyn. RIP Joseph Grado.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why I stopped using the Grace. But I left Seattle in 1987, and it was in one of my moving boxes, so it has been a long time.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.