To ground or not to ground - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2015, 12:13 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default To ground or not to ground

Doing a bit of work on my Kenwood KD-3070 turntable. Removed the old lamp wire AC cord and replaced it with a nice more robust 3 prong equivalent. Also used the opportunity to do a full cleaning and setup of the TT's internals/externals.

As of now I do not have the ground wire of the new AC cord connected, it is floating. I have read about ground loops being induced if the ground is used. All my equipment connects to a power strip. Am I ok to connect the ground?

Pics for reference
Click the image to open in full size.
Inside, note stock power cord on far right

Click the image to open in full size.
New power cord installed, note green ground wire floating in the middle
Old 28th January 2015, 12:51 AM   #2
Jsixis is offline Jsixis  United States
diyAudio Member

I would guess no. I bought a Teac R2R and its power cord had been replaced and it hummed no matter how I connected it till I removed the ground wire.
Doesn't the turntable have a ground wire? One that your suppose to hook up to the reciever?
If you have 2 grounds then you will definitely get a hum.
Old 28th January 2015, 01:14 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

It depends.
If you have equipment before the amplifier that is earthed then you don't need a earth connected.
On the other hand if you are using a floating MP3 player or similar then the amplifier needs earthing.
That has been my experience.
Old 28th January 2015, 10:33 AM   #4
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Surely a turntable has two grounds? One is a safety ground, to the incoming supply ground (if available). If built to Class II spec then this ground is unnecessary and must be omitted; otherwise it must be present.

The other is a signal ground, to the phono preamp. These two grounds are not connected together at the turntable.
Old 28th January 2015, 12:38 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Rule I always follow is to NOT ground a unit which originally has floating ground.
Old 28th January 2015, 12:39 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Surely a turntable has two grounds? One is a safety ground, to the incoming supply ground (if available). If built to Class II spec then this ground is unnecessary and must be omitted; otherwise it must be present.

The other is a signal ground, to the phono preamp. These two grounds are not connected together at the turntable.
This is a 70ís turntable, originally used a 2 prong AC cord.
I am a guitar player and build/repair tube amps. So whenever I see a 2 prong AC cord I want to upgrade it to a modern 3 prong for safety reasons. I am just wondering if I can ground the AC cord for safety reasons and not have a impact on sound...
It appears all the PSU ground, headshell grounds, etc. Go to one common ground point in the turntable chassis.
Old 28th January 2015, 01:42 PM   #7
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

If the Mains powered equipment meets ClassII (double insulated) standard then leave it as is.

If it is built to ClassI standard then it NEEDS a safety Earth.
The biggest metal component should be connected to the Mains PE wire.

All other conductive parts should be electrically connected to that protected part of the Chassis. Here is the problem !!!!!
Adding a connection from the Safety Earth to the metal arm will almost certainly LOOP into the signal ground/return of the output to the pre-amp.

If one is lucky, then there may be electrical isolation between the arm metal work and the signal return.

I would suspect that most mains powered turntables are built to ClassII standard to avoid the need to connect the arm into the Mains PE wire.
Old 28th January 2015, 02:04 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

In my opinion it is best to use Class II (double isolated) equipment throughout in the audio chain, or maximum one Class I. Or two Class I power amplifier mono blocks at the end. In this case all previous equipment should be Class II (as they normally are). Most frequent exceptions are tape decks and I wonder how is ground loop avoided at them?
Old 28th January 2015, 05:37 PM   #9
vulejov is offline vulejov  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Studer View Post
Rule I always follow is to NOT ground a unit which originally has floating ground.
Cubie - small F5 variant with GR grade JFETs and LatFETs

If you ground it there will be no floating ground..
Old 29th January 2015, 09:02 AM   #10
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulejov View Post
Cubie - small F5 variant with GR grade JFETs and LatFETs

If you ground it there will be no floating ground..
took me to post97
Quote:
Vule, please don't spoil this rare philosophical moment - let us indulge in its revelational depths...

Hide this!Advertise here!