Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

DIY Air Bearing Linear Arm
DIY Air Bearing Linear Arm
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st November 2017, 05:33 PM   #271
OberonGT is offline OberonGT  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koldby View Post
As I see it, only lateral imperfections from the roller bearing/ motor could be transmitted (if they exist) Horizontal movements are not transmittet as the air bearing is frictionless eg. cannot detect any movement of the sledge (or whatever is used).
Koldby,.. as you said, "could be transmitted" "if they exist", and they always exist in roller bearing and you need to be aware that if they exist, its always vertical component involved where air bearing isn't immune and that again mean that it defies its purpose plus any resonances transmitted from stepper motor via belt or screw to carriage ball bearing will be transmitted to airbearing trough its vertical componennt. It is not a fight my friend. Just logical reasoning

Cheers
Zz
Old 1st November 2017, 05:44 PM   #272
diyAudio Member

Jim,..

I roughly calculated (and i was generous) by volume and mass of material i attend to use:
airbush-49grams
bearing clamp-35grams
headshell/armtube/damping-25-28grams
armtube alloy interface-15grams
cart-cca5grams
total-cca 129-132 grams without carbon rod and weight

What you say?

Zz
Old 1st November 2017, 05:47 PM   #273
super10018 is offline super10018  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OberonGT View Post
Jim,..

I roughly calculated (and i was generous) by volume and mass of material i attend to use:
airbush-49grams
bearing clamp-35grams
headshell/armtube/damping-25-28grams
armtube alloy interface-15grams
cart-cca5grams
total-cca 129-132 grams without carbon rod and weight

What you say?

Zz
I think it should be ok.
Old 1st November 2017, 05:53 PM   #274
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by super10018 View Post
I think it should be ok.
This was rough calculus in between servicing my compound bow and refletching my new arrows I will know more when i start to create 3D models and check volume analysis.

But if i end up total even above 200grams i will be extremely happy fellow

Cheers
Zz
Old 1st November 2017, 05:59 PM   #275
super10018 is offline super10018  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This was rough calculus in between servicing my compound bow and refletching my new arrows I will know more when i start to create 3D models and check volume analysis.

But if i end up total even above 200grams i will be extremely happy fellow

Cheers
Zz
200 g is probably ok for certain cartridges. However, I won't advise to go over 200 g. 150 g may be the best for wider selections of cartridges.
Old 1st November 2017, 06:13 PM   #276
diyAudio Member

It really depends what would be counterweight and carbon rod (hollow) weight
i didn't have time to calculate this but i am positive it will not be more than 70 grams

Oh it is a long road ahead of me but it is a project i will play with in upcoming year or so.

Zz
Old 1st November 2017, 10:42 PM   #277
koldby is offline koldby  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Koldby,.. as you said, "could be transmitted" "if they exist", and they always exist in roller bearing and you need to be aware that if they exist, its always vertical component involved where air bearing isn't immune and that again mean that it defies its purpose plus any resonances transmitted from stepper motor via belt or screw to carriage ball bearing will be transmitted to airbearing trough its vertical componennt. It is not a fight my friend. Just logical reasoning

Cheers
Zz
Logical reasoning would also say that airborne vibrations (high volume playback) would be picked up by the long airtubes and maybe wires and the question is: is the cure for this worse than the illness. I donīt know, maybe you do, my friend?
Old 2nd November 2017, 12:21 AM   #278
diyAudio Member

Koldby,..

Even if there are any, you would minimize or entirely remove the same, but introduce others which will put you on square one with more money invested and overly complicate such a beautiful design.
In order to prove your theory i advice you to build that and show us. I will be happy for you.
Since i was listening much of the Franc Kuzma tonearms lately , including Airline as well at moderately loud volumes i could say there are no such problems overly exaggerated as you imply , but than again i will wait for your design to be made and tested and will decide accordingly.
Maybe Jim and Niffy can say something about it. They have more experience on the subject. I am really tired and going to sleep.

Cheers
Zz over and out

Last edited by OberonGT; 2nd November 2017 at 12:25 AM.
Old 2nd November 2017, 09:15 AM   #279
koldby is offline koldby  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Koldby,..

Even if there are any, you would minimize or entirely remove the same, but introduce others which will put you on square one with more money invested and overly complicate such a beautiful design.
In order to prove your theory i advice you to build that and show us. I will be happy for you.
Since i was listening much of the Franc Kuzma tonearms lately , including Airline as well at moderately loud volumes i could say there are no such problems overly exaggerated as you imply , but than again i will wait for your design to be made and tested and will decide accordingly.
Maybe Jim and Niffy can say something about it. They have more experience on the subject. I am really tired and going to sleep.

Cheers
Zz over and out
This sounds like clever and good advices. Thanks.. Sleep well
Old 2nd November 2017, 09:54 AM   #280
niffy is offline niffy  England
diyAudio Member

You are much more likely to pick up airborne feedback via the much greater surface area of the carriage body than via the air tube or wires. Also, as the carriage is much more rigid, vibrations picked up by the carriage body are more likely to be transmitted to the cartridge. If you think that airborne feedback is likely to be a problem do as I have and build a thick acrylic cover. I actually built mine to protect the deck from my cats but it should work to reduce sound pressure by several dB. In reality I can determine no real difference between lid on and lid off. I think, at least for my arm, that it is a non-problem, and my arm has big flat faces ideal for picking up feedback.

Niffy

DIY Air Bearing Linear ArmHide this!Advertise here!