Renew and improfe a Kenwood KT 917

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone!
I am an owner of this nice tuner. It works yet fine but as life is hard to an technician, thinking abot improofments , especially at the pulse-count-decoder
and the MPX-stage . I would like to change the ICs and make the outputstage DC-coupled also.... I have all servicemanuals.
Anyone with experience?

Apparently not.

What is wrong with the tuner? Pulse-counting discriminators are generally reckoned to be very linear, so it may be limited by the IF strip phase response - but 'upgrading' that could be non-trivial.

Why do you want a DC-coupled output? Any very low frequencies on FM are probably the result of a plane flying overhead, not the music.

Hi DF96 !
I would never touch the pulse counter as I do not understand it to the last percent to 100....
But at the LF- side there are lots of TL072"s--- nobody will call them "hifi ic".
I will post the circuit as soon I am able to do it. The whole paper from antennaplug down to the output.cinch is 5 or 6 pages DIN-A4 and the Kenwood-guys drew in some mistakes!! Iam sure they did it with full intention.. So nobody can make a clone from the servicemanual even one has all the original parts. No, I have the original. Only the multipath-instrument is on strike- easy to fix .

ingo

My usual advice is that in order to improve a circuit you need to understand it at least as well as the original designer, preferably better. Then you can spot his mistakes, or choose slightly different compromises from the ones he chose. Merely swapping an out-of-fashion component for something different may make things worse, better or do nothing at all. The full FM chain from studio to your home is likely to contain lots of "non hi-fi" opamps, and other issues such as IF filters and multipath, which could be be far worse than a TL072 in a carefully designed circuit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.