McIntosh MX118 Tuner Alignment - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2015, 09:39 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default McIntosh MX118 Tuner Alignment

I have access to test equipment and would like to align the FM tuner section of my MX118. According to the service manual one of the steps involves tuning three coils and three capacitors at 90 MHz and 104 MHz respectively for best sensitivity but does not state how to measure it. McIntosh could not imply using the inaccurate led signal meter?
Old 11th January 2015, 04:03 PM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

It is likely that there is a DC voltage somewhere which relates to signal strength - most FM chips produce this. This may feed the LED meter circuit. Monitor the DC voltage with a DMM. If possible, use an analogue meter if you have one - this makes it easier to spot small changes while trimming.
Old 12th January 2015, 10:17 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Front end tuning is usually pretty "broad". If you can tune in a station near both ends of the dial, use them and adjust the coils/caps for loudest signal.

Charles
Old 17th January 2015, 06:22 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I found out using an RTA and tuning for lowest distortion is a good method. Works well and my tuner section is now aligned. Thanks for the responses.

Hide this!Advertise here!