Thorens 166mk2 anti-skating weight.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Long story short, I've lost the anti-skating counterweight and can't find a replacement. I'm going to make one myself (a piece of metal hanging on a thread -- not exactly an ambitious DIY project) but what the weight of the stupid thing should be? I can't find any info... :confused:

Don't worry, I won't rush off to measure it until it is necessary. :)
However, if you need my help and I forget to check this thred,
just mail me and I'll try to help you.

I checked my manual, but there is no info there.

If you have no weight, it is the small one that is missing. The big
one doesn't replace the small one, but fits outside it when
necessary.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
What are you worrying about?

The arm on the TD166 allows the bias weight to be moved from almost zero distance to the pivot to about 40mm away (this from memory twenty years ago, plus armwaving). So who cares how precise the weight is? There's enough adjustment to cover it. As I recall, the weight is a cylinder of about 6.5mm diameter and the same height. It's probably made of steel or brass (more likely brass), but the density of both materials is very similar, and the weight (allowing for the hole through the middle) is likely to be about 1.8g. Hooray for physics!

Alternatively, you could just hang an arbitrary blob of Blutak on the end of a bit of fishing line, and use a test record to find the optimum amount.

If you want to be posh about it, make a thin-walled 8mm open aluminium cylinder on a lathe, and drill the closed end to 0.3mm, but fill the open end with as much or little plasticene or Blutak as necessary. Nobody can tell the difference from outside...

Re: What are you worrying about?

1.8 gram, you say? I was sure it's more like 3 or 4.

In any case, it seems that a local dealer has a few replacement weights, and I should get one of those in a couple of days. I'll measure it and we'll see who's right.

If I were less lucky, I'd certainly try one of your suggestions (that doesn't involve a lathe ;) )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.