Replacement for Shure M 75?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Apparently the V-15 III was used with the TK14 headshell back in the old days.

Attachments

• V15III_DL TK14.png
    V15III_DL TK14.png
    160.9 KB · Views: 121
The headshell on the right looks like a lightweight. That's the one I would look for if I were to use a high compliance cart on a Dual. I just searched ebay, most of the TK14's look like the headshell on the right, 2 look like the left - I'm guessing those are the fakes.

Attachments

• Dual Headshell Comparo.png
    Dual Headshell Comparo.png
    666 KB · Views: 388
Well, I'm quite sure that my Shure (and the headshell, respectively) doesn't contain any aluminum at all. There's nothing else than plastic!

Btw, getting into this operation would bring me back to my initial question, wouldn't it? In other words, I'd do it only if I'd like to replace, and possibly upgrade, the cartridge.

Best regards!

Last edited:
Just dug out this very old thread of mine. Funny :).

In the meantime I got very much deeper into the topics: The Shure M75D cartrigdes were made especially (OEM) for Dual. They use a dedicated click mount system to attach them to the plastic TK adapters. Some additionally use the more common 1/2' mounting screws. That's belts and braces :). There are many varations in these M75D, as some have a stylus guard, some don't etc.

Both TK bodies shown in #23 are originals. The left one is called TK14, the right one is TK24 and came with later Dual TT models. As the TK24 still is available as NOS, there's really no need to convert a scarce TK14 by dremeling. The stickers on top of them indicate the cartridge they originally came with (you have to use a certain list to decipher). E.g. the TK120 mentioned before stands for a TK14 adapter with a M75D cartridge.

Meanwhile I got lots (more than 20) of Shure (and other) catridges, amongst them a very fine sounding M75ED Type 2. I really love it! So I got some aftermarket N75ED replacement styli from William Thakker and fitted them to M75 bodies. Their performance now is good, better than with the original conical needles, but not as outstanding as the original M75ED T2 with it's HighTrack needle.

Best regards!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.