Phono cartridge measuring idea - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2015, 02:08 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Phono cartridge measuring idea

Would it be possible to measure a phono cartridge frequency response (or cartridge/arm resonance) by placing it on an electromechanical transducer? I am thinking on piezo buzzers or the like.
Old 6th January 2015, 03:01 PM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

If you know the frequency response etc. of the transducer, and the mechanical effects of any interface compounds (or lack of them). Most piezo buzzers have nasty resonances - that is why they can be loud!
Old 6th January 2015, 03:46 PM   #3
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

There are test records with swept tones expressly for this sort of purpose from JVC, CBS and others. Much easier I think.
Old 6th January 2015, 04:01 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshifis View Post
Would it be possible to measure a phono cartridge frequency response (or cartridge/arm resonance) by placing it on an electromechanical transducer? I am thinking on piezo buzzers or the like.
No, as said a piezo-buzzer is very non-flat and very limited in BW. OTOH you could probably excite the tonearm/cart low frequency resonance with one.
Old 6th January 2015, 04:05 PM   #5
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I'd be very surprised if you could actually excite the tone arm / cartridge LF resonance with a buzzer, such resonances are generally 12Hz and under. There probably are piezo electric actuators that could be used excite that resonance.
Old 7th January 2015, 01:19 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
I'd be very surprised if you could actually excite the tone arm / cartridge LF resonance with a buzzer, such resonances are generally 12Hz and under. There probably are piezo electric actuators that could be used excite that resonance.
I think a DC voltage causes the disk to flex in a DC sense as in the excitation on a microphone collapses the diaphragm.
Old 7th January 2015, 11:47 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

What about a headphone as transducer?
Old 7th January 2015, 12:04 PM   #8
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

My guess is that people use test LPs to check cartridge frequency response as this is the cheapest most convenient way to do it. To get another transducer which is sufficiently flat in frequency response and sufficiently robust etc might cost quite a lot. It may also be the case that the frequency response is affected by whatever is at the end of the stylus so you want vinyl there - to test an item it often makes sense to put it in something like the working environment it was designed for.
Old 7th January 2015, 12:29 PM   #9
Hiten is offline Hiten  India
diyAudio Member

Thinking like mad scientist so hope no one laughs
...if we take another cartridge and harden the cantilever suspension and somehow couple it to measuring cartridge's cantilever and supply low voltage frequency sweep to the first cartridge's terminals....
1) would the cantilever move ?
2) if it moves, would it accurately transfer the vibrations to the measuring cartridge ?
Regards.
Old 7th January 2015, 12:31 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

The question is, are there other viable methods to measure frequency response? It is an intellectual challenge.

Hide this!Advertise here!