Phono cartridge measuring idea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My guess is that people use test LPs to check cartridge frequency response as this is the cheapest most convenient way to do it. To get another transducer which is sufficiently flat in frequency response and sufficiently robust etc might cost quite a lot. It may also be the case that the frequency response is affected by whatever is at the end of the stylus so you want vinyl there - to test an item it often makes sense to put it in something like the working environment it was designed for.

Thinking like mad scientist so hope no one laughs :)
...if we take another cartridge and harden the cantilever suspension and somehow couple it to measuring cartridge's cantilever and supply low voltage frequency sweep to the first cartridge's terminals....
1) would the cantilever move ?
2) if it moves, would it accurately transfer the vibrations to the measuring cartridge ?
Regards.

Perhaps (I didn’t test it), having the cartridge fall on a record and recording the generated signal after the MM (or MC) preamp with a program like ARTA (or any other that can work with external signal excitation) would give you some insight regarding the response. I would imagine that this would produce something close to an impulse response to the cartridge coils. Else, there are some test disks with pink noise.

Joined 2011
Perhaps (I didn’t test it), having the cartridge fall on a record and recording the generated signal after the MM (or MC) preamp with a program like ARTA (or any other that can work with external signal excitation) would give you some insight regarding the response. I would imagine that this would produce something close to an impulse response to the cartridge coils.

Yes, Peter Moncrieff used to do this. He never demonstrated that it correlated well with the measured frequency response
from a test record, though.

To get another transducer which is sufficiently flat in frequency response...

That can be normalized out. The rest of your post I agree with. The main issue with test records is that frequency responses from one test record to another don't seem to be terribly consistent. The cutter? The vinyl? The pressing? Who knows, the medium itself is full of uncontrollable variables.

The vibration amplitude of a piezo transducer can be normalized by projecting a laser beam on it and including it in some closed feedback loop.

Since a buzzer is resonant in the band of interest makeing the loop stable is challenging as well as the problem that you want constant velocity not displacement (I think?). Possibly a tiny SMT accelerometer glued to one would work and give a piece of "plastic" to sit the stylus on. In either case probably calibrating at several frequencies is better than trying to close the loop.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
That can be normalized out. The rest of your post I agree with. The main issue with test records is that frequency responses from one test record to another don't seem to be terribly consistent. The cutter? The vinyl? The pressing? Who knows, the medium itself is full of uncontrollable variables.

OTOH as the library of congress and others have proven, you can take a photo of the record and get the information off that way You Can Play the Record, but Don't Touch : NPR . Can't be too long before some DIYs that, possibly not to this standard but enough to get the response curve off the vinyl?

For the well heeled there is of course the Finial. Someone must have one of those somewhere...

How about using Hard Drive read/write head (if it can be controlled by a circuit) Magnetic field on HD surface is 10 nM* which is equal to 0.01 micron. Minimum Vinyl groove modulations is 0.1* micron, so we make a small hole resting place in which stylus diamond can be placed and we move HD head on all frequency range at particular speed. Would that simulate proper frequency response on cartridge output terminals ?
Regards.
* All data from the net.

Bruel @ Kjaer seems to make measurements with the accellerometer in 1976 must have the article somewhere.

B@K Technical Review Cartridge measurement 001.jpg

SY said:
That can be normalized out. The rest of your post I agree with.
My concern was that it is easy to get into the problem of subtracting big numbers to get a result with lots of digits but few significant figures. If you are measuring something which is supposed to be approximately flat it helps if the measuring device is similarly flat, then errors don't accumulate too much.

Apart from the coupling problem which Scott raised, I think you could in theory do this with three transducers, measuring them in pairs. A similar trick can be done with radio antennas. I suspect that real life is not so simple.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.