Garrard Type A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To be honest, I've no idea what I'm doing except that this model isn't currently considered to be particularly fancy by those who know such things.

I just got this thing - it looked interesting and I liked the colour. I don't actually have any vinyl or a phono-amp but why should that spoil the party.

Attachments

• top.jpg
    top.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 204
  • underside.jpg
    underside.jpg
    479 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I remember these tables, had a number of friends whose parents owned one. They were built at a time when Garrard still built reasonably good changers.

Might be fun to restore. Does it have a cartridge installed? Do you have the plinth? I seem to recall these floated on four springs and was retained to the plinth by threaded rods, washers and nuts.

The mechanism will need to be cleaned and lubricated, if possible do so with the minimum amount of disassembly needed.

Motor will need to be serviced. (Main bearing and idler mech as well)

The vinylengine.com library should have plenty of detail on this model.

No plinth so I will have to make one - so long as doesn't require skills beyond those I've developed through some speaker building. Fortunately, it came with the mounting hardware.

It does have a cartridge installed - red coloured plastic I think, but haven't looked too closely. Somewhere in my collection of bits and pieces I have a new cartridge (a gift in return for making a speaker enclosure). This new one is based on a technology I'm not familiar with - it's neither MM or MC but moving iron with stationary magnet and coils and I don't know if it's suitable or better than the one that's installed.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Given the high tracking forces employed the original cartridge if you can identify it and get the proper stylus for it may be the best choice.

Good eBay scores would include the Shure M3D and M7D..

These track around 4gms as I recall. (My first SPU tracked at 4gms, the current ones at 3gms) No particular problems with record wear as long as the stylus is in good shape and the record clean.

If you can build speakers a plinth should be no problem. There should be a template at VE.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.