Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2004, 01:10 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 1210 ground lead!

Hello, Can anyone help me? I have a technics 1210 and unfortuneatly whilst it was being transported, the ground lead got pulled out of the deck. I opened up the turntable but i have no idea where abouts the lead needs to be re-attatched.

Thanks very much.
Old 25th January 2004, 01:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The same thing happened to mine! I repaired it myself, I took the rubber base off, and from memory, I think there was a small metal plate underneath, held on by one or two screws, which when removed reveal the ground lead going around plastic posts, serving as a strain releif. Not wanting to do any more dissassembly, this is where I re-attached the lead (it broke just here), by soldering, and covering with heatshrink tubing. I think I held my 1210 on its side for all this, to avoid the oil running out of the bearing (i.e. not turning the turntable upside-down) It might be safest to remove the platter whilst working on it like this!

good luck.

In emergency situations, I have tied a single strand of wire to the tonearm, which enabled the unit to be used, better than nothing eh!
Old 25th January 2004, 04:31 PM   #3
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hi Arnold
Looking at the picture, you can see the earth cable running under the PCB. Then it is soldered to the solderlip marked with the arrow.
Hope this helps.

/Hugo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sl1200.jpg (62.3 KB, 131 views)
Old 26th January 2004, 12:55 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies, the picture especially. Its a big help. Cheers
Old 26th January 2004, 12:22 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Ahh!

I was wondering how accurate my memory was! was I right about the small metal plate? That pic looks like it was directly under the base of the tonearm. Well, I'm glad that nice person posted that picture!

...Steve
Old 26th January 2004, 12:29 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

also reminds me of the inside of the lucas distributor in my old mini!

Hide this!Advertise here!