Repair needle (EPC205CMK3)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Repair a needle (EPC205CMK3)

I'm loking a way to repair the original needle of Technics 205CMK3 cartridge. Issue is that the needle (cantilever) is now flabby (common issue for these).

Construction of the needle can be seen in attached image.

I suppose the TTDD damper material crumbled at some point long ago (now perhaps totally missing).

By user's guide of the cartridge, some visco-elastic material has been used. It says also that buthyl-rubber is commonly used damper material (least in late 70's). If I have understood correctly, material which I'm looking after is some sort of visco-elastic rubber.
I read somewhere that visco-elastic rubber has been used (an example) in the inner surface of tubeles tires.

Can anyone point me some suitable damper material which can be installed without dismandling the construction (not much space). Some instructions for how to DIY this would also be a welcome.

Attachments

• epc205cmk3_.png
    epc205cmk3_.png
    222.2 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Stylus For Technics Cartridge Number EPC-205C Mk III
Claims to be £16 for a replacement stylus.

Yes, that would be the easy way ... but, I already have bought one (Tonar made) and actually, few years ago I did find one original needle from Technics (not the original one for this cartridge but for an older model 205cmk2 equipped with titanium cantilever instead of boron pipe) which works decently even with this cartridge.

As I'm not familiar with cartridge construction basics, can someone explain it a bit (numbers from attached image);
- are parts 2 and 3 one construction?
- is the damper placed just between parts 2 and 5 ?

As there's zero info available over the material Technics used, should I try with some sealant based in silicon or buthyl or ?

Hi,

2 and 3 are fixed together.
Yes thats where the damper (usually rubber) goes.

Not shown is the usual tie rod or wire, that pulls
on the end of the cantilever. Cartridges can get
"floppy" due to the damper disintegrating, or
the tie wire being stretched, usually by accident.

That UK stylus would be an utter travesty on
such a good cartridge. Your best option by a
mile would be Jico SAS stylus for it.

Not cheap, but will sound better and last
loads longer than a good elliptical tip.
Comes with a boron cantilever.

S.A.S Super Analogue Stylus | JICO stylus | Online Shopping for Japanese Phonograph Needles

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Hi,

No it doesn't imply that, I think all 205C styli fit
all 205C models, so you can upgrade the stylus.
Ergo Jico only need to make one SAS 205C stylus,
or something like that, not exactly sure.

I'm sure an enquiry would yield the correct stylus to order.

rgds, sreten.

This lists the 205CmkII
http://stylus.export-japan.com/product_info.php?cPath=10&products_id=656
and the OP states the mkII fits the mkIII.

Last edited:
IIRC, I've seen mentions (Vinyl Engine forums) that JICO did bundle EPS205ED3 type stylus few years ago but not anymore. Here you can see listed the models EPS205EX is made for (even it physically fits in (and been used with) other models as well).

Also few years ago I found some web site selling Technics needles as original parts (original packaging, IIRC, under Panasonic/Technics license) but as those were quite expensive (~475€) I didn't get one because of not much usage at that time ... now that site seems to be gone.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.