MC Cartridge De-magnetizing software for PC soundcard?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
fdegrove said:
You don't have to take my word on it but Au, Ag and Cu are all not ferromagnetic, not as a pure element anyway.

I know they're not ferromagnetic. I believe that's what I said. They're paramagnetic. And I added that copper was also very very slightly diamagnetic.

Naturally alloys with ferromagnetic materials exist but no one in cartridge manufacturing uses those, I think.

Well, not for the coils I would think.

Alloys like that are often used to increase tensile strength but that's a concern to the industry and military, not audio.

Actually I was playing around with some copper/nickel alloys (nickel being ferromagnetic) and was quite surprised with the results when using it for interconnect.

If you ever get a chance, grab some Alloy 30, 60 or 90 (2, 6 and 12 percent nickel respectively) and give it a try. You might be surprised as well.

BTW, in case I forgot, my best wishes for 2004, Steve.

Thanks. And the same to you and yours.

By the way, you didn't forget. :)

se

KBK said:
I was using for a while, what the wire pundits like to call 'coperweld' or a silver coated copper and steel wire for speaker wire. It was quite good, but it was partially due to the guage design, and layout I used.

Yeah.

If you followed the Cable Distortion Measurements thread, I sent off a batch of the same cables to John Curl and Bruno Putzeys so they could both measure the same thing.

One of the cables I sent was an RG-174U which has a copperweld center conductor. I figured if something would flesh out some distortion that would be it.

But in the end, within the resolution of the AP System Two Cascade, it measured no differently than the all copper cables.

se

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

But in the end, within the resolution of the AP System Two Cascade, it measured no differently than the all copper cables.

Hmmm...OK, we're all going to use magnetic components from now on?

Look, if I must make someone happy, it might as well be you.

Sit still...I just see a hare there..Pang...........

That's you..or was it me?

Either way, this is threadjacking , no????

Cheers, :D

Yes. I was suprised at how it sounded. But the capacitiance for a 15 foot run (one leg) measured 15pf on a $6k LCR lab meter. Ain't the most important spec, but I did it partially because I was curious how much of an effect the complex Z would have on a speaker cable, when all paramters were far off the standard numbers we deal with in loudspeaker cables.

Getting back to the MC cartridge thingie, does anyone want to construct such a signal,and what exactly was the level of the voltage off that fluxbuster waveform.

I have feeling it is going to be me. I'll have to re-initiate a contact from years ago and borrow his Sumiko Fluxbuster. I don't want to bug this guy. so anyone else hav access to the right equipment? I suspect voltge level is important, especially with the proximity to the magnet structure and the guage of that wire. I have no intention of fixing the sound of a bunch of expensive MC's..while ruining a few in the proces of finding things out.

Nakamichi always warned in their service manuals not to measure head resistance with a standard ohm meter because this could cause fusing of the very fine signal wires.

This same precaution would apply to MC coils too, so you best be very careful about voltages/currents that you are aplying.
Considering the tiny size of MC coils, also be wary of longer term overheating causing enamel/insulation breakdown and shorted turns.

I am suspicious that the physicall un-plugging and re-plugging of the phono cables is causing part of the sonic effect observed here.

Eric.

Seems quite easy to construct but you should measure the real thing first. It probably makes sense to generate a signal which exceeds the max normal cart ouput a few times.

Attachments

• fluxbust.jpg
    fluxbust.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 248
mrfeedback said:
Nakamichi always warned in their service manuals not to measure head resistance with a standard ohm meter because this could cause fusing of the very fine signal wires.

This same precaution would apply to MC coils too, so you best be very careful about voltages/currents that you are aplying.
Considering the tiny size of MC coils, also be wary of longer term overheating causing enamel/insulation breakdown and shorted turns.

Yes, this is interesting too. I have been wondering what might be
safe levels for measuring MC coil resistance. I have also assumed
an ordinary DMM will use too high test voltage/current. What might
be a safe ccurrent level through a low-level MC?

In normal operation the current seems to be in the region of 50-100uA - not insignificant by all means. Surely most good DMMs use much lower currents when measuring resistance. I have used my Fluke to check continuity (don't ask) in my MC30 with no ill observations.

Yes, I think the warning is most appropriate, even if it may work
with many multimeters. I wouldn't take the risk of just using
my DMM for this without thinking it through first, which is why
I am curious about safe levels.

I suppose one way is to measure first what voltge level one gets
from playing a record and then use the amp input resistance to
calculate a "normal" current level. Anything within normal playing
signal region should be safe, I suppose.

I have gone out of my way to avoid measuring the coils on a MC..but I have done it dozens of times over the years,and never damaged one yet.

Perhaps the warning is more slated as being towards the Older types of analog multi-meters, ie old simpson units, etc. They may have used more current in their designs than modern units. With two meters, one can check the current/voltage output on their meter(s). A useless statement to be sure, as most -if not all- here can easily figure that one out.

Measuring the resistance of an MC (or a tape head) with a
multimeter should present no problems at all with even the
most basic 5Kohm/volt cheapo analogue multimeter.

Connecting an MC to a PC soundcard is completely different.
(This is incredibly stupid IMO)

Whatever's being described in this thread has nothing to do
with demagnetisation at touted. Paramagnetism presumably
uses the same meaning as "Para" in paranormal.

100 years of research of the paranormal have not turned up
one example of the phenomenon, only serving to expose the
shiesters methods of deceiving a gullible public.

I suggest you go through the whole process with no equipment
turned on. In a double blind test I guarantee the results will be
the same. Any differences are much more likely to be due to
contact cleaning than any of the mumbo-jumbo touted.

And before the mumbo-jumbo crowd jump all over me I suggest
that they describe how contact cleaning has been effectively
discounted for the phenomena described.

For an example I could suggest you take your interconnects for
a walk, of course it has to be a least 3 miles for the full effect.
I've no doubt once refitted they will sound better.

:) sreten.

Minor point- paramagnetism (and diamagnetism) are actual real, accepted, understood terms in materials physics.

If there actually is a non-psychological effect with some cartridges, John Curl's explanation is most likely to be correct. You're not going to "demagnetize" a beryllium cantilever or a diamond stylus tip or copper/silver coils.

SY said:
Minor point- paramagnetism (and diamagnetism) are actual real, accepted, understood terms in materials physics.

Hi SY, have to (after a quicksearch) admit your correct, but
the same search also implied paramagnetism is an atomic level
phenomenon, and reversal of is totally impractical in an MC coils
magnetic fields.

For an example I could suggest you take your interconnects for a walk, of course it has to be a least 3 miles for the full effect.I've no doubt once refitted they will sound better.

You're wrong here. Interconnects hate being moved around and after a 3 mile walk will need at least 3 days to settle down.

I have never experienced MC demagnetisation ( or whatever it is) but expect the effect to be audible and beneficial based only on the reports of others.

It certainly has more tangible physical effects involved than demagnetising CDs. It would be interesting if someone with real knowledge in the field expresses an opinion. Of course i don't mean any of the eager resident physicists but Jonathan Carr.

sreten said:

Hi SY, have to (after a quicksearch) admit your correct, but
the same search also implied paramagnetism is an atomic level
phenomenon, and reversal of is totally impractical in an MC coils
magnetic fields.

Paramegnetism is well known as Sy said. Would you have assumed
a parachute to be a non-working device as well just because there
is parapsychology? ;)

Edit: Sorry, it was the word paranormal you referred to, not
parapshycology.

Christer said:

Paramegnetism is well known as Sy said. Would you have assumed
a parachute to be a non-working device as well just because there
is parapsychology? ;)

Edit: Sorry, it was the word paranormal you referred to, not
parapshycology.

Either way I'd suggest testing of a parachute is fairly conclusive.

Especially for the person testing it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.