amateur: best audio card for capturing old tape

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've used an Audiophile 2496 audio card hooked up to a Eurorack UB1002 mixer a few years back to capture some old audio tapes containing family interviews. I've now come back to continue the project to find the Audiophile will not install correctly on my old WinXp sp3 system:mad:. I want to replace the card so that I can continue to capture, using the mixer to get the best quality, into the PC for editing and archiving.
Can anyone recommend a soundcard that would work with this mixer (the input is from a tape deck)? If there is nothing for XP, I also run a Win8.1 system (according to the Audiophile site, there are no drivers for this card with this OS).
Many thanks.

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I don't know if this is best or if it will meet your needs. ART used to make a box called di/o - it does a/d and d/a. It's a standalone box, not a soundcard.

I have one that I don't use, but shipping US to UK is likely prohibitive.

I don't understand why your card doesn't install under SP3. I'm pretty sure mine is. It was from SP1 thru' IIRC.

You should persist in trying to get your card to work. It's possible there's a hardware fault, but I've seen so many computer issues like this resolved in software that I wouldn't give up easily, it's quite a nice card.

First remove and reseat the card.

If this makes no difference, tear down the host machine software as far as practicable and uninstall and reinstall the drivers. IIRC I used ASIO drivers with Cubase, ASIO4ALL. I think there's an M-Audio ASIO driver now, but I haven't fired up the machine for a few months, because it needs attention to the Ethernet port. Have a look in My Computer\Properties\Hardware\Device Manager for your device, see if the drivers are working properly or if you can reinstall them. The installation may require that certain steps are done in a certain order, so check the instructions from M-Audio.

If you have an installation code and are confident you can rebuild the host machine, if all else fails, do a clean install of WinXP. You can get all the service packs as downloads for company systems deployment, so you might want to download these before you start.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm running a 24192 under XP SP3 with no problems, and a 2496 under win 7, again with no problems. The OP also has a machine with win 8.1 which is not supported, in addition to the XP machine. FWIW I really like the 2496, it's a good card which I use for transferring vinyl to digital from time to time.

Many thanks, all.

I'm afraid I've tried everything suggested over the past eight months with two different XP sp3 machines, with the same result - drivers install, but the card does not appear in device manager no matter which PCI slot it's in. And both PCs were completely new XP instals. I've used the most recent drivers from the M-Audio site, which don't install, the only ones that do are those on the CD that came with the card originally. I've emailed M-Audio support, who were not very prompt, but finally did reply saying exactly what's been suggested here. I've also installed in both orders - software first then card, and the reverse. No difference - nothing seems to work, hence the huge frustration. And even though I'm loathe to spend more money, there seems to be no other choice as the original audio tapes are now 25+ years old and, I'm sure, won't be playable for much longer.

Counterculture,
You mention ASIO drivers. I'm afraid I don't know what they are and have only used the drivers for the card. Where could I find these for one last try?

For those running this card with XP without problems, which drivers do you use?

Many thanks.

Did you turn of the motherboard sound system in the BIOS before you installed the OS?

Not doing this has been many many frustrating hours of Days and Weeks trying to get my sound cards to work in various OS's for me!!!
Namely Win7, and XP as well for a few of them.

For years I have tried to get my Gina24 to work in Win7 and it would always fail even though it says that the driver is installed.

The same goes especially for my Creative X-FI.
It has only been recently of my latest re-install that i have been able to get both cards to work in either system.

I used to have this very same issue installing my Phillips PSC506 in XP many years ago several times and at one point I wrote it off for a dead card and put it away for a few years and tried it again just recently to find out that it does still work!!!

All of this time I could have been enjoying the smooth sounds of this excellent old card.

Here is what happens,

You MUST be sure that the sound system is turned off in the BIOS BEFORE you try to install XP!!

If you don't do this then the installer will find it and it will assign the windows system call routines to it!!

Even if the driver is uninstalled and the onboard sound system is disabled afterwards you will NEVER get those to be reassigned Afterwards when you attempt install your new sound card.

A few times having the new sound card in the system while installing the OS is not a good idea either as it will attpet to find the right drivers and srcew it up as well, So leave it OUT for now, Until the OS is installed and running on its own as it should be.

I have read of a procedure to undo this and it is quite complicated so I never tried or learned that method and just doing a re-install of the OS is much easier and actually faster if you make this mistake.
Just do a Quick Format the second time around.

As many hours as this takes, Please understand that I do know your frustration when everybody else says that theirs works and yours don't using the very same driver that others are using!!

Make sure that your BIOS battery is good as well!

Or else when it does a restart the BIOS will get reset to default and the on board sound system will re-appear and windows will attempt to install some drivers.

Even if you click on cancel to do so fast enough, It may already be to late and it will have already tried to assign the call routines and the result will be another failure!
And you will have to start all over again with another fresh install!!

DO NOT install the new sound card just yet!!!

Next,
If your sound card driver installer allows you too, Do the install procedure to install the drivers or/to place them in their proper folders or whatever you have to do for your particular device.

Then power down the system, install the card and power it back up again.

At this point Windows will find the card and install the drivers for it.

Sometimes this goes flawlessly on its own and sometimes you have to direct the system as to where to find the sound drivers and where they are actually located.
This much I expect you already know, as when it finds them it will tell you, and then allow install them.

If all goes well you should have sound, Usually this is an indicator for me when I do a final Restart.

I hope this helps and Good Luck!!! ;)

jer :)

P.S. Make sure that you have all of the Service packs in place as well as needed before installing the sound driver.

I have all of the SP's and other utility updates such as the Wininstaller and .Net Frame stuff stored locally on my archive drive for easy access and I can just burn them to a DVD,CD or copy them to a USB drive and install them from there.

Even on my fast FX-6300 this is about a 3 to 6 hour job to get to square one without the added updates from MS!!
That is another 12 to 24 hour process IF you are on a Highspeed Cable service!!! ;)

Have you considered using Linux instead?!!!! :)

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It sounds to me like the 2496 is dead, I have used mine on several machines with and without integrated sound systems and it worked just fine whether or not the native sound system was disabled - just had to make sure it was selected as the default sound card.

The 2496 natively supports ASIO, there is no need to install separate ASIO support. The application using the sound card needs to support ASIO if you want to use it, otherwise use direct sound.

Those M-audio audiophile cards have had problems since day one! M-audio is aware of several issues and has refused to do anything to fix them. I returned mine and refuse to use M-audio products because of their poor support on that issue...this was my experience YMMV.

I have used the Roland Edirol series of external USB boxes and had very good luck with them. RME and MOTU make some nice products as well but a bit more expensive. Apogee has a nice small new product out but I have not used it.

I've been using a Sony PCM M10 field recorder for all dubbing from analog to digital. It has very good converter performance with more than 90 dB SNR and low distortion up to clipping. I have components in several rooms and it imakes it easy to record in one room and then transfer to computer somewhere else.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.